Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Cheap lift

A DOG

I don't really have enough money for a lift and rims so I opted to get 2-3inches by buying some brand new shocks. Then when I get some new shocks i'm gonna see how much clearence my tires got then get some bigger ones. Don't get me wrong I'm still gonna get a lift for my suby just not for a little bit.

Anybody have any suggestions on where to get some off road shocks.

Also what size are the stock rear and front shocks for an 81 GL.

I don't really have enough money for a lift and rims so I opted to get 2-3inches by buying some brand new shocks. Then when I get some new shocks i'm gonna see how much clearence my tires got then get some bigger ones. Don't get me wrong I'm still gonna get a lift for my suby just not for a little bit.

Anybody have any suggestions on where to get some off road shocks.

Also what size are the stock rear and front shocks for an 81 GL.

Shocks don't give you any lift, they just control the counce of the suspension....

you can get 2-3 inches in the rear by "re-setting" the torsion bar plate that bolts to the rear trailing arm on each side.

you can put RX springs onto height adjustable EA81 front struts, and adjust them up all the way. this will give you another 2 inches roughly in front.

if/when you do this, be prepared to replace axles regularly.... the increased angles increases the wear on the axle joints....

and you will put more wear on the outside edges of your tires as your camber will be off slightly.

Save your money and do it right, as they said, shocks give no lift, suspension lifts create camber problems that cost more than a lift kit to fix in terms of correcting camber and then the increased maintenance of the CVs, hardly the path to go if you are trying to avoid the minor expense of an actual lift.

Honestly the BYB 3" lift is about as cheap as you are going to get. Only way you are gonna go cheaper is if you know exactly how to fabricate teh things you need yourself, have access too necessary shop tools, and can get a good deal on steel.

Everything on my Subaru is strictly budget upgrades. Took me years to piece together everything.... rear end, tranny, lift kit, rims, tires, etc etc. Buy stuff when you got the money and post on the USMB when you dont :drunk:

You'll have it before ya know it !_!

(p.s. you dont need a lift to go offroading :brow: )

WORD! I can get a 3in lift from a local off road company for 250-300$. So I guess I'll start saving my pennies. In the meantime I'm gonna look for 15in rims at all the junkyards around my town. I will have an off road suby in no time.:brow:

well, almost. it's a bit of work finding the right rims backspacing/offset wise, then fender/bashing trimming, if you do these things after you've ordered your kit it's just a matter of recieving the kit and you're good to go. I found the right rims and then put some big meats on them, jacked up the car and put the rims/tires on so I knew what had to be done clearance wise cause if you can stuuf the tires with no lift then you should be good one the lift is in. I just finished the last bit o bashin last night, and the 2 new kits were shipped out to me yesterday. wahooo! I'd order the kit now cause you pay when it's ready and there is a lot of demand out there so it may take a while.

I know that everyone here supports BYB lifts, but I think they're pretty expensive.(for me at least) I've talked to a local off road company and they said they do a great job on subarus and there lifts are really strong. Also they said it would only be lke 250-300 bucks installed.

I know that everyone here supports BYB lifts, but I think they're pretty expensive.(for me at least) I've talked to a local off road company and they said they do a great job on subarus and there lifts are really strong. Also they said it would only be lke 250-300 bucks installed.

What's the name of the "local offroad company"?

What do they use as for the steering extension? Have they done Soobs before? If so, why haven't we heard of them?

What's the name of the "local offroad company"?

What do they use as for the steering extension? Have they done Soobs before? If so, why haven't we heard of them?

Their name is Renegade Off Road. Yes they have done soobs before and said that they haven't had any complaints yet. I don't think you've heard of them because I live in Bozeman Montana.population 40K. I'll call them up on what they use for steering extension and tell ya.

I've worked with and around Ozified and Mudrat lift kits and I'm located in Missoula, I'd love to check out working examples of homebrews and whatnot, will travel...

why last week I saw a 3 door on top a yota frame with a 350 and a turbo 400 trans, funky and way up in the air

Always a fan of lifted subaru's

I support the BYB lift mostly becuase it's proven over decade(s?) of pure offroad carnage. Was developed and built by a Subaru enthisiast. It's been through enough trials and tribulations that all the bugs are worked out. The kit isnt cheap I know... blowing almost $400 on ANYTHING to me is a major purchase. However have you seen how much other lift kits go for on other vehicles? Many people pay more money for a lift kit than I have into my Subaru (including original purchase of the car!)

A local shop sure could do it; no doubt about that. However it is still a risk unless they have done several Subarus. Zapar has pointed out some things. Another to consider is if they know exactly what angle the top strut 'blocks' will need to be made at so your camber is correct and you dont eat tires every three months.

Maybe they know all about this and will have no trouble getting you a lift for $300.... maybe they don't and will just get something done for you. You wont realize whats up untill your tires are wearing funny =/ Totally upto you man. Nothing wrong with going fully custom just go into it armed with the information that will get you a satisfactory result. :drunk:

I also like the fact that by buying Ozified, we're supporting a board member, looking out for one of our own. An additional $75 for a tried and true product is pretty inexpensive in my book.
Amen, Brother! Rather do it right the first time. I always say. :)

Just a little taste of patients.......................

13Parts_above1-med.jpg

There was a lot more then this when I finaly put it all together, see my album for a few more pictures of what went in to it. I bought stuff one thing at a time then rat holed it in the dining room (no, Vicky didn't think it was cool....LOL). Later, Tim