Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help me with this crazy idle and misfire problem. ea81

This is on my 1984 GL ea81 (California spec). I am about to pull my hair out with the crazy problem I’m having with my idle. The car idles very rough and stalls out. I had to crank the idle speed up to 1500 rpm to keep it from dieing. The car also has a bad misfire under 2000rpm.

This is what I have replaced and checked…. The coil I tested and it come up 1.25 ohms (then replaced), the distributor I replaced with another one out of a parts car.(did not help the problem) All vacuum hoses are new and hooked up. I replaced the PCV and tested the EGR valve. Plug wires are new along with plugs and cap.

I pulled the codes and got 73 which tells me it’s a California MT with a Hitachi carb???? What good that does.

So what else could it be? It seems to me its electrical. I pulled most of the connectors in the engine compartment to make sure they are clean. But I dunno, maybe it’s the carb?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Check your anti desiel valve it is the hexagonal looking thing sticking out at an angle on the front of your carb. There is one electrical wire going to it. Basically it stops fuel from going into your carb when your car is shut off. You can test it by haveing someone turn the ignition on and off and listen for the valve to click. Good luck

I'm leaning toward a vacuum leak based on the symptoms. Sounds like your vacuum hoses and vacuum advance are probably OK since they've been swapped. Check the carb base gasket, carb throttle shaft, EGR system, and intake gasket areas. Also check the brake booster and the inline check valve if equipped.

Good luck!

hum... well, looks like I have some more things to check Thanks! :banghead: haha The timing is right at 8*. I re-timed it after I replaced the ditsy.

The misfire is getting worse day by day. Looks like I’m running on borrowed time. Cant be a good thing during this huge snowstorm.

thanks,

Jeremy,

Just saw on the news that Cold Springs has over a foot already (we got 27" in Tahoe by 6:00). IIRC, your place has no covered parking..great for working the car! More snow tomorrow, and as an extra bonus, high winds are expected too.

:banghead:

did ya change the distrib there 2 out there one has about 10 degrees differancs

This is on my 1984 GL ea81 (California spec). I am about to pull my hair out with the crazy problem I’m having with my idle. The car idles very rough and stalls out. I had to crank the idle speed up to 1500 rpm to keep it from dieing. The car also has a bad misfire under 2000rpm.

This is what I have replaced and checked…. The coil I tested and it come up 1.25 ohms (then replaced), the distributor I replaced with another one out of a parts car.(did not help the problem) All vacuum hoses are new and hooked up. I replaced the PCV and tested the EGR valve. Plug wires are new along with plugs and cap.

I pulled the codes and got 73 which tells me it’s a California MT with a Hitachi carb???? What good that does.

So what else could it be? It seems to me its electrical. I pulled most of the connectors in the engine compartment to make sure they are clean. But I dunno, maybe it’s the carb?

Thanks!

Not sure what the gizmo is called right now, but it mounts on the backside of the DS strut. Hose from it runs over to metal tube on engine. Check that system out. It was the source of wierd idle on our '84. Metal tube had cracked near the rubber hose. Actully found it, trying to fix heater hose leak.

• Thanks 1

Thanks!

vac leak, bad duty valve, sticking valves or excessive carbon build up

arround valves, dirty carb, all or one of these will give the same results

had a similar problem turned out to be the air vent valve in the carb was plugged