Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru wrx/ impreza trans modification

sick star

Whats up? I need info on fliping the ring and pinion gears in a late model subaru trans that will blot up to a ej20 can be the 5spd or newer 6spd. I need to do this to get the tires to spin in the oposite direction they are suposed to so it may be used for a rear motor aplication. I know they make adapters to fit this motor to other transmissions either the VW trans which needs to be built up or the porsche trans very expensive I hear about trans problems with subaru but it would be going in a lighter car so it should hold up any info would help exploded view of trans diff section.Or info from a person with experiance rebuilding these transmissions,Or a link with this info any thing prety much will be buying ej20 front cut in a couple of weeks need some input before I start tearing the transmission apart

Unfortunately it can’t be done… well not without a custom cut ring and pinion shaft set. The Subie trans uses a hypoid style gear set with an off center pinion, not a straight spiral bevel like the VW/Porsche box. Many of us would love to do it, but just not feasible. If this is an off road rig you might consider trying to mate the Subie trans to a set of old bus reduction boxes, that will reverse the drive, but reduction box cars have a awkward torque reaction with trailing arm suspension… the rear jacks up when you hit the throttle.

Gary

Thank you you are the only person to reply on this.I would have guessed more people would have had some knowledge on this trans with the amount of people having to replace them.This car will be a street car ,so I guess I need to do more research on other all wheel drive transmissions.Any one know if I can flip the gears in a late 80s Audi Quatro the transmissions shoul be close to vw/ porsche set up.I would just need to buy the adapter plate/flywheel to mate the trans up to the motor.Again any info would help. Thanx

The only AWD rear engine transaxles I know of are the newer Porsche and the VW Vanagon Syncro, the Porsche one are gonna be VERY expensive and the Syncro boxes are qiute rare, a bit pricey and dont handle big power well. Some people have had custom secondary shafts and nose cones made for older Porsche and VW boxes. There are quite a few of us who would love to build 4WD/AWD rear engined cars but so far there is no affordable option. :( I would love to put one under my '57 oval window bug.

Gary