Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is a 1992 Loyale a good Subie to mod for off roading?

1990legacy

I'm going to look at a 1992 Loyale Wagon, with the intention of possibly modifying it for better off roading at some point. So really, I'm looking for some pointers here, any info would be appreciated. And one more thing, is there any lift I can put on that wont cause problems with cv angles?

Pretty much any 4WD subaru will do. But here are some things that will be very helpfull when your offroading:

5 speed manual is a must

Dual Range 4WD Is a great help

Fuel Injection will make trails alot easier

And check your timing belts, ask questions about them. The worse thing that can happen is to lose a timing belt on a trail.

-Brian

Pretty much any 4WD subaru will do. But here are some things that will be very helpfull when your offroading:

5 speed manual is a must

Dual Range 4WD Is a great help

Fuel Injection will make trails alot easier

And check your timing belts, ask questions about them. The worse thing that can happen is to lose a timing belt on a trail.

-Brian

Ok, thanks. Do you know if the 92 Loyale had the Dual Range? I thought only the 80's subies had the dual range...

All Loyales had the S/R tranny (at least in the US). You can do a D/R swap really easily, though.

You'll love an EA82 offroad. I've had both a '92 and a '93, both with S/R transmissions, and I'm absolutely astounded at what these cars will do, even at stock rideheight. 'Course, the '93 isn't going very far with its weak clutch, but that's another story :) .

Absolutely! I've just lifted my 91 Loyale wagon 3 inches and installed 29/8.50 x 14 tires on re-drilled light truck rims. Gas mileage stayed the same on the highway (10% higher gearing cancelled out by heavier tires/wheels).

The lift kit (from PK Davis) also lowers the motor and diff by 3 inches so the geometry stays the same in relation to the hubs--i.e. no increase in strain on the CV axles.

I had the tires/wheels off another Sube, but if I had to buy new tires for the lift, I would have the hubs drilled for the old Toyota 6-lug wheels and go with 15"x7" wheels and say a set of 30x9.50s or whatever fit. There is a lot more choice in 15-inch tires.

A good site to visit is www.subarubrat.com. You will be amazed at what can be done. You can find the PK Davis site from Scott's (subarubrat's) site. By the way, Scott lives in Remington, VA (a bit west of Manassas).

If you want an easy way to get an off roader, get an 88-89 GL (factory dual range) and stick a 3 inch PK davis lift on it.

A loyale would be suitable too, but you have to swap the tranny. you also lose afew cool things like map lights and nice front door armrests/handles.

Flowmaster is on point here. The Loyale is basicly a stripped down GL but a few more options than a DL. I'm very happy with my '88 GL as an ORV. You'll be ahead of the game starting with a dual range 5MT. If you can't then its all good.... I started with a 2WD and now it's full out ORV so it's not like a Loyale would be the 'wrong' Subaru to start with.

Tell that to the guy who has won production class two years in a row in Oregon Region rallyX. Watching it run has given me a new appreciation for them. Quick and agile and the abilty to rev to 10K is impressive.
.... note the big LOL emoticon. I was kidding :rolleyes: Justy's are cool too. Loved that pic of one that had ATV tires and no fenders.