Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how I cleaned up foggy legacy lenses

Both my son and daughter had foggy headlight lenses on their Legacy (1990).

Junk yard units were all funky yellow. New was real costly. ($200 + per side)

After a search on this site found a fellow recommending wiping lenses with a rag soaked in brake fluid. Real good improvement. You'll wonder where the yellow went. Still left something to be desired though.

Found 30 micron silicon carbide paper. Real smooth. 3000 grit or so maybe. Wet sanded front surface and it got sort of hazy. Then got Ultra Brite tooth paste on damp rag and went after each lenses for about 15 minutes. Great results. Prior to this never had anyone flash me with those high beams locked on. Now oncoming drivers are p.o.'ed if we don't dim 'em. Cheap and easy.

rick

w mi

• 2 weeks later...
Both my son and daughter had foggy headlight lenses on their Legacy (1990).

Junk yard units were all funky yellow. New was real costly. ($200 + per side)

After a search on this site found a fellow recommending wiping lenses with a rag soaked in brake fluid. Real good improvement. You'll wonder where the yellow went. Still left something to be desired though.

Found 30 micron silicon carbide paper. Real smooth. 3000 grit or so maybe. Wet sanded front surface and it got sort of hazy. Then got Ultra Brite tooth paste on damp rag and went after each lenses for about 15 minutes. Great results. Prior to this never had anyone flash me with those high beams locked on. Now oncoming drivers are p.o.'ed if we don't dim 'em. Cheap and easy.

rick

w mi

you can buy a healight de-fogger kit for 30 bucks with about 6 applications. it also shines faded rubber and plastic.