Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Castana Trailride in Iowa, Sept 23-25, 2005

mcbrat

Castana Trailride in Iowa, Sept 23-25, 2005

Held at Timber Ridge Ranch, Located between Mapleton, IA and Castana, IA in the beautiful Loess Hills, about a half hour from where MW2 was held....

here's the official entry form.

http://www.ci4wi.org/ClubFiles/Castana2005.pdf

here's the thread from last years ride

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20394&highlight=castana

MorganM and I were the only Subarus there.... a stock rig could do lots of the trails, but lifted would be better....

• 6 months later...

I just got some info in the mail for this event. Guess they rememberd me from last year :D Really wish I could come this year! Going to shoot for next year as one of my 'must make' offroad events. Of all the places I've been offroading now Castana is one of the best! Nowhere have I seen 60+ miles of trails to explore out in the woods. Anyone who has the time and money to go should be there; you won't regret it nore will you forget it!

Here's some pics from last year:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=616

I will see if I can go! I will need a fire extinguisher, a first aid kit (wal mart for those?) and some spare parts for the imp...

I also realllllllly neeeeeed a skid plate for the engine bay- anyone have some metal and a welder? :brow: I can attach it to the existing A bar (it goes all the way back to the x member, so I can attach either a full metal plate to the bar, or maybe weld some captive nuts to the bar to make the plate removable?)

I also need to figure out my idle control circuit issue...I think maybe a new AIC valve, and adding a better ground wire to the engine in a few spots will help the issue... I hope..... otherwise I would like to replace or modify my engine... turbo? :brow:

I would like to make a rear bumper protector, or just replace both bumpers with tube/ C-channel metal bumpers!

and I realllly need a roofrack to carry a spare tire, that I also dont have! :eek:

so how much was the entry to this event? is it a one price, or per day we stay? (did I just not see the memo?)

what I would really like to have done before I go, but not likley... dual range tranny!!! (or anyone know where I can get a new gear set made for my 5mt..... I think that just replacing the 1st gear pair with a lower ratio will help a lot, and wont cause too much trouble with street driving!)

let the mods to the imp continue!

We're thinking of going to this. We really need to see what's up that weekend. I think it would be blast and with the OBW/pop-up, we could camp and be sure to have a car to get home in :lol: . (still alittle gun shy with the Loess Hills:-p ) Later, Tim

see all the specs here.....

http://www.ci4wi.org/Portal/

$75 pre-registration (Before Sept. 1)

$90 reg at event

$65 one day reg.

the registration fees include camping fees, and helps pay for the insurrance policy we have to get to cover the liability.

I've got Friday off, so I'll be there around noon or 1:00 to start setting up....

Hey Mick, we looked at our situation and I don't think this year is going to work. We are going to start planning now for next year so we can do both MW4 and the Castana run. Sorry man, hurts me more then you though. Have a good time and post lots of pictures. Tim

Hey Mick, we looked at our situation and I don't think this year is going to work. We are going to start planning now for next year so we can do both MW4 and the Castana run. Sorry man, hurts me more then you though. Have a good time and post lots of pictures. Tim

I know I'm shooting for next year Castana also. Talking to Kurt the last time he was over he really wants to make Castana next year. We should try and get a big group of Subarus there next year! :drunk:

I know I'm shooting for next year Castana also. Talking to Kurt the last time he was over he really wants to make Castana next year. We should try and get a big group of Subarus there next year! :drunk:

We'll try to plan on going next year, it'll be easier to make the long road trip with an EJ motor. We're still not out for this year, but probably....mostly because of $$$, and as a result, no front tow points....

does anyone know if the stock impreza tow points in the front qualify for the specs at this event? my car has NO RUST at all down there, so I could imagine that its probably stronger than a lot of the cars there anyways ;)

and what will the camping arrangements be like? if a bunch of us subaru nuts are there, could/will we be grouped together? (for the fun of it of course)

and.... and... i dont remember what my other question was...

so who is actually planning on going this year?

I have to wait and see what funding will be like when comes the time but I will certainly try!

it's only me for sure...

the camping is just wide open primitive camping. Morgan had his tent next to mine last year. though we are expecting a lot more people this year. we've been doing lots more promoting and it's more organized.

last year about 4 pre-registrations (34 vehicles total). this year 20+ vehicles.

pre-reg saves money, but the deadline is past.....

so it's like $90 to register now at the event I think....

the trails are narrow, and lots of brush, just like the trails at WCSS7, so expect losts of side scratches....