Ultimate Subaru Message Board

arrrrgg!! its soo frustrating! I put the car all back together, and before filling it with coolant, I though to myself, "I should try to start the car to see if the timing is right..."

go figures it was not correct.. the car turned over, and made funny sounds, and did not fire... so I took it all back apart and realised there a a couple different marks on the cam pulleys and the crank gear... so which marks do I align up top? so far I have tried the 2 little tick markes "up" on the cams, and the arrow on the crank gear (center tbelt pully) up as well.. but then I noticed that there was also a different mark on the crank pully... which timing mark do I use!!!???

Should we maybe put this info (with pics) into the USRM for T belt replacement on EJ and EA motors.... cause the haynes manual has the wrong timing info for ea82! so I dont want to trust it with the EJ22!!

I need to get this car back on the road asap!! (moms car! and she needs it for work!)

thanks

Austin

OHC or DOHC?

There are notches in the rear section of the cam belt covers that should align with the single notches in all the sprockets.

If it's a DOHC the double marks on the lower half of the intake cam sprocket should be used to line up the exhaust cam sprocket.

Austin, I'll scan the page out of the FSM and send it to you.

Now for the rest of you, with the exception of the B22, how many of you have seen a DOHC EJ22 that came that way from the factory???? This is an American version of the EJ22, and therefore only came as a SOHC version. As far as I know, it is also a clearence engine and therefore nay noise would not be valves hitting the piston.

I had done my 95 Legacy (no longer have it) a few months ago and also remember scratching my head on the alignment. The cam sprockets are easy as they have a mark on them and also on the back covers. These should align. The confusing part was the crank sprocket. I believe that the timing mark lines up with one of the teeth on the plate behind the sprocket.

Endwrench.com has a great article with pictures on the 2.2 L engine timing belt process. I highly recommend checking it out.

Did you also change the water pump and thermostat. If not, I would highly recommend it. Mine failed at 110k.

Matt

and sorry about not being specific... it is a SOHC EJ22, in a 1991 LS Legacy wagon, AT AWD....

and I know it is a clearance engine, ifit wasn't , I wouldnt have tryed starting it without being sure it was correct! :brow:

but anyways, thats the thing I was wondering (mattski) said there is different marks on the crank sproket- so I use the one on the plate behind the sprocket, and not the arrow on the front of the sproket?

i think what happened, is that I aligned the timing marks on the cams and the arrow on the crank sprocket all pointing up (to the marks on the block/covers) and thats what made them misaligned....

Corky- are you going to email me a jpg image of that page? please remember to send it to my ratty2austin@yahoo.com email...

thanks!

Austin

Setright, well even internationally, the only EJ22 that was DOHC came in the 22B. If I remember correctly all other international EJ engines were either the EJ15, the EJ16, the EJ18, or the EJ20, and only the EJ20 came in a DOHC version as well as a SOHC. There is a possibility of valves hitting on a DOHC engine, but not a chance on a SOHC engine.

Here in the USA, over the years we have had the EJ18 SOHC, the EJ20 (DOHC only in WRX), the EJ22 SOHC, and the EJ25 (both DOHC and SOHC).

I too consider this board an international board, and appreciate international input, but it helps to know the origin of the person making the request, which is why I ususally check their bios before answering, that way I know where they live and can answer accordingly.

this may be apples and oranges, but on the 1997 ej25, the crank sprocket for the timing belt had a few marks. at first, i though the timing mark was a triangle on the face of the sprocket. but this pointed down (180deg) away from where it should have been pointing. then i found a line on one of the "lobes" (i don't know what to call them) that give signals to the crankshaft position sensor. that line lined up with the timing mark. I made sure that i had it all figured out before i removed the belt.

Hope this helps...

one of the problems I had last night, is when I was dissasembeling it, I was actually replacing the water pump (it seized) and doing the new belt at the same time... but when I took the tensioner off, it made the belt loose, and misaligned it. so then I couldnt look at how it was (it did run) to compare to, and remember the belt alignment!

another qucik question-

on the crank sprocket, there is a little key thing (keeps sprocket aligned on shaft) and it seems to be worn out! how do you change this? or is it changeable? or should I not worry? (it seems to affect the crank alignment with the T belt!)

thanks

Theotherskip, I believe that is exactly what I found on my 2.2 L engine as well.

Ratty2Austin, seach for my post around December 20, 2002 under my previous name of 97svx. I believe that I had included a lot of info on my timing belt change experience.

In the future, I will be marking the old belt and reference points before I take it off.

Lastly, once you install it correctly, when you crank the engine, the timing marks will not line up again until a certain number of revolutions, so do not drive yourself crazy.

Matt

Ratty2Austin: the key that keeps the sprocked from rotating on the end of the crankshaft was pretty securely attached to my crankshaft. i don't know if this is the norm, but mine was tight, so i didn't bother with it. on a civic i had the key was removeable, so it could be easily replaced (also lost, but that's a different story). probably call your dealer and see if a replacement key is available. as long as the sprocket engages solidly (it shouldn't be able to rotate much at all), i wouldn't worry about it.

i know it is too late to help you now, but i usually don't remove something until i have a pretty good idea of how it works. when i took my timing belt off, i spent about 20 mins marking the belt and noting the position of different marks and such. this tends to be lots of help when reassembling. saved my butt lots of times.

First of all, guys, the USDM EJ22 is NOT an interference engine. He has not screwed anything up internally by setting the timing incorrectly.

I agree with theotherskip. I bought white touch-up paint, and painted the correct marks, which I identified carefully in the Haynes manual, and I made those marks quite clear.

Don't worry about the arrows on the spokes of the cam sprockets. I don't know what they're for and didn't use them. There are small marks on the outer edge of the sprockets that need to line up with the marks in the rear timing covers. That's how you do it.

I urge you to get the Haynes manual. It is not a Bible, but if you follow it closely enough, you should pull it off without a hitch.