Ultimate Subaru Message Board

okay need some help.......with 2.2 conv.

ballitch

well the motor is in the car and the intake is done and exhaust is done, radiator is mounted, with 2 fans...hehe. radiator hoses are done. running into first problem, on an 86 gl wagon, where is the fuel pump relay located, and secondly, why doesnt the fuel pump turn on when i turn key to on position, yes the battery is in and motor will turn over(so i did make the adapter right lol). does the have to be fuel in the tank, i drained the tank, could the fuel level indicator be telling the fuel pump relay to not turn on the fuel pump? Im stuck on this so ima go tackle the wiring a bit.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!

~Josh~

if I rember correctly there is no fuel pump relay. it is run right off the ECM. I assume it was a carbed model? not sure exactly how the EFI ones work yet. some have a relay some dont. you may want to bypass the factory wiring and run it to your own Ign + source. evin better if you used a oil pressure switch as a safety.

and No to the best of my knowlege the FP and sending unit are completely unrelated.

no problem, bought a EA82T fuel pump from mudrat and trying to figure out why there is no power to the stock fuel pump wiring when i turn key to the ON position. Thinking ima ghetto rig it to a toggle switch from the ignition, and hide toggle switch so I can turn it off if I think car is gonna get broken into.:brow:

I would but the darned'd thing about it is I dont know where the fuel pump relay is located in a 86 gl wagon, and apparently, neither does haynes. "make sure to mark and organize all lines BEFORE you separate the blah blah blah, because if you dont, we arent going to be able to tell you what to do." end quote from haynes manual. does anyone know where the fuel pump relay is, or if i even have one?

i think your going about it wrong. unplug the old pump, and leave the wiring alone. the stock fuel pump in the carbureted car was turned on when the distributor moved.

you gotsta have the efi pump relay runing off of your ej computer, not the original relay.

the only thing you have to use from the stock system, is the power wire to the coil. use that to turn your computer on and off, with the ignition.

do I have to use the ej ecu fuel pump relay, cuz i am going to finish wiring the fuel pump to the ON position, with a fuse and toggle switch. if I do that, do I have the tell the ecu that the fuel pump is on? i was also going to wire the power for the ecu from the ON postion from the ignition, is that an ok fix? I would like not to run the ej ecu fuel pump relay wires back to the pump and back up to the ecu, is the ej fuel pump relay part of the wire harness, or is it separate? Cmon Austin I know you want to answer all these questions.

Thanks everyone,

~Josh~

Josh....

For now just find an Ingition on wire in the EJ-2.2 harness.....wire this into the fuel pump you got from me......This should get the thing running if all your other harness stuff is in order.....

biggest thing I can tel you, Is make sure you have all the propper ground wires hooked up......:)

Later, John

thank you John, pump works very well by the way, im sure it will work perfectly, I just had to swap out the mounting bushings from old pump to new pump on the mounting plate, and buy some brass fittings to step down in diameter to use stock hard fuel lines. just have to finish wiring, that gonna take some time.

I agree with mudrat. wire it to an igniton switced source for safty reasons. dont just run it to a constaint hot source with a toggle switch. you really want to try and rember to turn it on/off every time? and have all the fuel pump load go thru a crappy little toggle switch? that may work for a while but not a good perminant solution.

the old coil is a switched power source. just an idea.

no, no, no. I was going to wire it up to the IG wire on the ignition, when you take apart the actuall ignition, where the key goes in, the IG wire only becomes hot when you turn the key to the ON position, just before start, does a fuel pump draw that much of an electrical load? So you guys are saying wire it up to the EA coil "+" terminal, or wire it up to the EJ fuel pump relay wire on the EJ harness. Ill go with option A as long as the ECU doesnt want to "see" a fuel pump signal.

Thanks everyone,

~Josh~