Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Paint spider cracking on 2000 Outback

Hello, the paint on my green 2000 Outback is spider cracking (term used by

mechanic). The car has about 65K miles on it. The spider cracks cover

the entire car top and sides and it is getting progressively worse.

I did take it to the local Subaru dealer and a rep looked at it and said

that it was out of warranty, but they would pay 70% to have it totally

repainted. They said it would need to be stripped and totally repainted.

My problem is that leaves me with 30% and I'm currently between jobs and

the $1350 it would cost me will hit my bank account hard. That and the

fact I'd have to rent a car during the 3-4 weeks it is being repainted as I

don't have another car available (Subaru would not pick up the cost of the

rental -- I asked).

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was your solution? Is it

reasonable for Subaru to pay 70% or should they pay all of it given that

this is a manufacture defect even though it is out of warranty?

Any thoughts, insights, suggestions, or advise would be greatly appreciated.

post-9228-13602759849_thumb.jpg

Thats rather odd for a newer (than mine) car to do something like that. From what I've seen, Subarus have usually had fairly durable paint. Heck, my car still has most of it, except where I've knocked it off, or a few pieces of trim that have faded. But then, my car is a 1990, so its been around longer. I have to say, thats not cool that its cracking, but I guess if you can't fix it right now, I dont know what else to tell ya. I'm suprised the dealer actually offered you as much as they did. :-\

I would take them up on the deal when you have the cash.

I once had a Chrysler with clearcoat paint. This was a 1987 when clearcoat had just come out. Some years later I had a problem with peeling paint all over the car. Chrysler would do NOTHING. They said it was happening only on my car. Yeah......I kept seeing cars on the street with the same problem. I had the entire car repainted at a cost of $800; totally out of my pocket.

I think Subaru has given you a nice offer. Take them up on it ASAP ! The idea of getting a letter is a good one.

~Howard

:grin:

• 1 year later...

I have 2001 OBW, inter green that has paint damage. On mine it looks like sun peel, or someone rubbed "soft scrub" over the prominant edge of the driver side wing and doors. It's getting worse quite rappidly.

It is only paint, but I expect more from Subaru, and would hope they would reimburse the whole amount. If that's not possible I'd go back to the dealer and get a rain check for when you do have the cash.

I have 2001 OBW, inter green that has paint damage. On mine it looks like sun peel, or someone rubbed "soft scrub" over the prominant edge of the driver side wing and doors. It's getting worse quite rappidly.

It is only paint, but I expect more from Subaru, and would hope they would reimburse the whole amount. If that's not possible I'd go back to the dealer and get a rain check for when you do have the cash.

I think yours is the proverbial rarity; Most older Subarus I see still look really good compared to other autos their year!

The price Subaru is offering you sounds very good; They charged me $ 575.00 just to sand and paint part of one door(they did a perfect job)!

Good Luck,

John

[...]If that's not possible I'd go back to the dealer and get a rain check for when you do have the cash.
The original poster, taitcyrus, has probably dealt with the problem by now, since his post dates back to January 2005. However, best of luck with your own problem.

I think yours is the proverbial rarity; Most older Subarus I see still look really good compared to other autos their year!

The price Subaru is offering you sounds very good; They charged me $ 575.00 just to sand and paint part of one door(they did a perfect job)!

Good Luck,

John

Yes this is a Colorado thing. I know of many 2000-2003 that had this same issue. I see lots of these years for sale with the same damage. My father got his 02 repainted from Subaru for free because of the same issue. After talking to the rep, they said the high uv rays and altitude of Colorado tend to cause paint issues here.