Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Interesting finding after lift...

Snowman

So I finally got to try out the newly lifted Roxanne in some real snow over Christmas break. We got a small dump and there was probably a foot and a half to 2 feet on the roads here. Subarus rock in the snow, and lifted subes kick butt as I now know. However, I noticed one problem that hadn't appeared before. If I drove through deeper snow (2 feet) for a long time, the voltmeter would drop down, indicating that the alternator wasn't turning and the battery wasn't getting charged. If I stopped for a while and let the car run, it would start working fine again. I quickly figured out that snow was getting on the belts and decreasing the friction to the point where the alt pulley wouldn't turn (I could tell the water pump was still working because the temp gauge stayed where it normally sits). This had NEVER happened to me before. My theory is that since the belts and pulleys now sit lower in comparison to the body, they are more prone to getting snow on them, causing this problem. Now, I would mention that the belts were a tiny bit loose to begin with, which may have made this more likely to happen. There hasn't been much snow since I tightened the belts, so I can't be certain whether that had any effect.

Has anybody else experienced this after lifting their soob? Is there any easy solution? Bigger skidplate?

i haven't dealt with such a problem before... but in my 79 there is a skid plate that covers the bottom of the engine plus some tranny... i think... but there are slash guards covering the rest of the front part of the engine bay... they are just thin sheet metal... i'd say that if you bent some sheet metal up you would be safe from more disaster...

i don't think that it would take much... a drill, hammer, and some small bolts should do the trick!

good luck!

Hmmm..... I'll try putting something on my naked belts.

I've got the factory skid plate which does a decent job keeping stuff off the engine and tranny (though obviously not good enough). I've thought about welding some extra bits on there to make it larger.

take a normal candle, one without too much of the scent or coloring, although i don't think it matters, and while its running, BE EXTRA CAREFUL, now that the caution is out of the way, hold it to the side of the V the part that contacts the pully >V< that will give it a good coating, and help it from squeaking too. don't go too thick, if you see it thats too much, just hold it to it for 5 seconds or so.

take a normal candle, one without too much of the scent or coloring, although i don't think it matters, and while its running, BE EXTRA CAREFUL, now that the caution is out of the way, hold it to the side of the V the part that contacts the pully >V< that will give it a good coating, and help it from squeaking too. don't go too thick, if you see it thats too much, just hold it to it for 5 seconds or so.

A bar of soap also works good for this;) . I prefer irish spring.

I think the best solution would be to lift it more! Lift it enough to do the nissan transfer case conversion and put your engine back up to where it belongs. It will be way out of the snow then :rolleyes: .

Just my 2 cents!

Mike

But this is Alaska, it'll NEVER be out of the snow!:lol:

i havent noticed it in a lifted one yet, since i havent lifted any yet, but i did in my stocker.... one thiing im going to do with the engine when i lift it is to lift block the engine from the cross support. that should bring the engine up to stock stance. also, keep the factory skidplates in place, they do wonders! mine have done me well in skidding up rocks and such. holds snow out well too. maybe make some other custom ones on the sides as well?

I'm running the factory skidplate still. Never left home without it! The problem with putting too much in the way of plates to block out snow and mud is that you can't stop the stuff from getting in there, all that will do is prevent it from getting back out. The front of my car turns into a glacier whenever there is deep snow up here.