Ultimate Subaru Message Board

amp. output of XT turbo alt?

rallyruss

my alt. died while wife was driving it home from work. swaped a battery to limp it home. today went to wrecking yard and founds a XT turbo Alt. grabed it and made a small bracket to install it and a shortened pully spacer. seems to charge ok now but does anyone know what they are rated at as far as amp output?

I know I was stressing the old stock one with the sterio equipment and fog lights. I want to make sure this one will hold up better.

thanks in advance for any info.

my alt. died while wife was driving it home from work. swaped a battery to limp it home. today went to wrecking yard and founds a XT turbo Alt. grabed it and made a small bracket to install it and a shortened pully spacer. seems to charge ok now but does anyone know what they are rated at as far as amp output?

I know I was stressing the old stock one with the sterio equipment and fog lights. I want to make sure this one will hold up better.

thanks in advance for any info.

I know its a little more than a standard alt. but don't know by how mush. I have been thinking about using an xt alt. also because of the cb radio i have uses ALOT of power

EA series alternators are supposedly rated at 45A. However, before I did my 100A GM swap, I referenced the partnumber for what I was taking off, and it was labelled 65A. So I'd say 45-65A depending on the supplier/remanufacturer.

How hard was it to swap in that 100 amp gm alt?

Extremely simple. Search for my thread on it.. its still pretty dang fresh.

I will now stop participating in the hijack of russ' thread.

Noah: I remember reading elsewhere that 45A is the standard. :shrug: I do know that my the one I took off the Brat was labelled 65A.. so that makes more sense. I consider myself enlightened.

ok this is what i found. old alt was running at 45 amps before failure. the new one tested at 60 amps today. that was of an 86 xt turbo internal fan unit.

I am still able to pull enough load at idle to pull the voltage down to battery level. this will work for now but will need to go biger soon.

thanks for the input guys.

XT Turbos sometimes have a 70, sometimes a 60 but its still better than the 50 or so that the ea81/ea82 carb one usually has. XT6 is 90 amp but serpentine belt always. The XT turbo sometimes has a v belt but usually a serp too. Be prepared to find a v belt pulley to bolt on, most alt shops will charge around 20 bucks to change it and will have to dig thru alot of bins before they find the right one. A Mazda or Mitsubishi car v belt pulley is said to work but I need to verify this.

XT Turbos sometimes have a 70, sometimes a 60 but its still better than the 50 or so that the ea81/ea82 carb one usually has. XT6 is 90 amp but serpentine belt always. The XT turbo sometimes has a v belt but usually a serp too. Be prepared to find a v belt pulley to bolt on, most alt shops will charge around 20 bucks to change it and will have to dig thru alot of bins before they find the right one. A Mazda or Mitsubishi car v belt pulley is said to work but I need to verify this.

thanks shawn,

I used my old pully and shortened the spacer off the original alt. it was a serpentine belt on the xt. the hard part was getting the spacer shortened evenly. at first it ws a bit wobbly.had to reshape it a few times. oh yeah and the brackets do not line up the same. the XT alt was actually smaller and needed an extension to bolt it to the adjuster side. gotta keep my eyes open for xt6 stuff. I have only seen one at the junk yards here.