Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MOAB meet April 15, 16, 17.

well i dont want to steel anyone's thunder, this was brought up before in a post i shall reference below, but here's the basic idea:

a bunch of offroad subaru enthusiests will decsend upon moab, utah sometime in march or april. for those that have never been to moab, i can vouch that it is a wonderful part of the world. i really mean that.

the trails there range from something a stock 4wd subaru can do to "holy s**t!"

i would suspect that most folks will want to camp, there is mostly blm land around the area, but if'n you need a hotel, moab has some. but you won't find much outside of there. green river is probobly more than an hour away.

i say this is a great opportunity for those who can make it to bond yadda yadda with the subie brotherhood (read: bring beer).

one date that has been proposed is the weekend of april 15-17. tax weekend.

there are events at moab that should be avoided by us. even a midweek event would be fine, would even help us to not get in jeep folk's way. gimme feedback, but let's figure a date! don't much matter to me. in all likelyhood, i will be there a few days extra on either side, fishin and enjoyin.

the weather that time of year is very unpredictable. it could be 30 or 80. go figure.

let's figure a date!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if I can manage the time off, I would be most excited to go along!! I could help with repairs, advice and definately, video and pictures! (I can burn DVDs of the finished video)

and I most certainly would enjoy camping! I have not yet been to that part of the country, and I would love to see it!

now to figure out the time off of work thing..... :-\

And as I've said, buy beer BEFORE the state line!:drunk:

is utah 3.2? there's a brewery in moab. don't tell me it's 3.2 microbrew. that would be like punk rock muzak. i'll be packing dales pale ale brewed in lovely lyons, the first CANNED microbrew. seems like a no-no but people who camp a lot should now the validity of good beer in a can.

nough about beer! let's figure a date. i propose a friday through sunday event unless we here enough positive feedback for doing it during the week.

two weekend dates i would propose would be march march 5,6,7 and april 15,16,17. april would give people more time to get there cars ready, march would be less crowds. what do you all think?

Weekend of April 15th would be good.

Need to do way too much to the BRAT to get it long distance worthy.

The Safari Wagon did a 5,000 mile road trip this summer. I'm sure your Brat can go the distance!

Seriously though, if people from far flung locales (like LA) wanna come, we need to pin down a date so they can plan!

Weekend of April 15th? There don't seem to be any problems with that date, any objections?

Lets nail down the 15th-17th. Where should we all meet? Who all is planing on camping? Theres a big dirt pit on the side of potash road north of town that I think is open to car camping. It would fit alot of Soobs and tents but it's not pretty. Singletrack probably knows more places.

wasteland-when does the whitewater crowd start showing up out there?
That all depends on the thaw, but late April/early May is usually too cold for the mass hoards of boaters.
is utah 3.2? there's a brewery in moab. don't tell me it's 3.2 microbrew.
Deadhorse makes some good brew but I'm not sure if they do an off sale or not, I think all store bought beer is 3.2, again Singletrack may hold the answer.

with all the public land around there, there is no need to camp anywhere on the beaten path. most blm or usfs (lasal) land would be free to camp. canyonlands and arches national parks there would be a fee to enter and another to camp. i have an annual parks pass, but it doesn't cover camping. s'ko, those places are awesome, and your wife must see! i got tons o' maps and i'll post some good scans of the area.

the 15th it is!?

Where should we all meet?
Moab, duh.:-p

The city park behind Farabee's Jeep Rental is a good spot, lotsa parking. It's at the corner of W 400 North and N 100 West.... which sounds horribly confusing but in reality is only a block west of main st. There's a skatepark and public pool there; it's easy to spot.

Just turn when you see the fleet of yellow and red rental jeeps. There's often a yellow Unimog setup for sight-seeing tours parked their as well.

Theres a big dirt pit on the side of potash road north of town that I think is open to car camping.
The tailings pile is mildly radioactive, I think we can do better.:rolleyes: I know about a 1000 places we could camp, but it'll all depend on the size of the group we actually have.

There's some undesignated spots that could handle 10-15 cars, but using such a site in this way is kinda irresponsible. Although, many do it anyway... Also, its prolly not a good idea to leave gear or standing tents in these spots.

Most of the campsites within 10-15 min drive of town are BLM pay sites. Typically these sites cost $8 per vehicle per night. A large group will undoubtedly add to the maintenace load of the area, so we should just be good land users and pay up. Plus, we get fire rings, picnic tables, and outhouses. No water! These are fairly secure, tents can remian standing etc.

Most of the really kewl sites are BLM pay sites anyhow, regardless of where they are. Along these lines we've got LOTS of choices, we can just play it by ear when we get there.

That all depends on the thaw, but late April/early May is usually too cold for the mass hoards of boaters.
Yeah, that's more in the summer. Hardcore river people will be there in the sping, but they don't wanna see us either.

Either way, we prolly won't run into them on the trail.:lol:

This is however, during prime mountain bike weather. That'll clog up the campsites a bit, but shouldn't be a big deal on the trails. Subaru is most popular ride amoungst mtbrs by a long shot, so most will likely be psyched to see us out their.

I think all store bought beer is 3.2,
Booze is a daunting logistical challenge. The beer at the market or gas station is 3.2. Same with the bars (including both breweries), except the Rio, which is a "private club" and can serve real beer. Membership is not very exclusive.

There's also a state run lick-her store that sells real booze, as well as warm real beer sold in singles at bar prices.:-\

with all the public land around there, there is no need to camp anywhere on the beaten path. most blm or usfs (lasal) land would be free to camp.
Unfortunately, most spots "off the beaten path" have had a path beaten to them.

canyonlands and arches national parks there would be a fee to enter and another to camp. i have an annual parks pass, but it doesn't cover camping.
No dogs either. F that.

s'ko, those places are awesome, and your wife must see! i got tons o' maps and i'll post some good scans of the area.
Yeah, here's that page with good route descriptions as well.

hmm well Im not to interested in wheeling my wagon too hard but i love going to Moab. that place is just awesome. I have much more exploreing to do there.

I would be willing to help fix broken cars, spot, camp with you all if I could swing the time off. the drive is really not that bad . at least not from here.

oh as for the beer. I have a suspicion that the beer served in the micro brew places is a tad stronger than 3.2. I talked with our server last time I was there and he could not say that it was stronger but the hint was there. it tased good.

a little side note. while in the wonderfull land of NZD and AU I and my party noticed that most beer down there is under 4%. only a few exceptions.

WTF mate? guess thats how they get away with drive thru liquor stores?

we tried to tell them the wonders of malt liquor 40s, strong ales, ports, and all that is good beer. they sounded verry interested....espically in the 40oz.ers

hmm just realized.. I have been out of beer for a few days. hijack over shopping time.:drunk: