Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MOAB meet April 15, 16, 17.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got way too many trips planned this year spring.

Moab is looking like the 1st of April now and again at the first of May.

I also have a San Rafael cycle trip in between times....

I'm trying to shuffle my schedule :confused: to hook up.

Who knows what my schedule will be... :eek:

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

MOAB!:rolleyes:

I know Daves not planing, he's thinking of dark haired hippie girls!

Sheet, I never see that guy anymore... and he lives upstairs! :lol:

You know the best spots to camp, where's close to the goods, big enough for multiple riggs, not radioactive, and easy to find in the dark?
Yeah, during that year I spent there living in my van, I guess I found some OK spots.:drunk:

i make it three!

where we are going is still up for discussion. i would like to camp somewhere near the river if it's fishable when we're there. i think there's a decent size campground at big bend, just north of town. if i'm vetoed on the river camping, so be it. i suppose a headcount would be helpfull to decide where to stay. i'm can play it by ear if need be. i'm starting to think this won't be that well attended. the fewer folks going means less planning neccassary. i figured people would need time to plan if travelling long distance. doesn't sound like a whole lot are. oh well, prove me wrong!

I'm always down with being on the river. Plus I'll be coming from Cysco so that may be easier for me to find, that is if big bend is on the back road.So it looks like Suckerking, Wasteland, Singletrack, and Dustyrider for sure. Some Yota friends of mine may come over from Durango to witness the Subaru chaos action.

Who else is in?

damn, if I were still in co, but moab is 2 day drive from nc. when we would go out there a bunch acouple years ago we always camped off of kane creek road.

Its right along the river there are spots right across from moab rim trail or a little further up kane creek road. not to far from town, maybee 5 miles or so and pretty much right off the river (kane creek road follow the river for a few miles) I can look in the moab books I have if you would like detailed directions

If you camp near Kane, put it on your list of trails. Kane Creek is easier done from the other direction (Start at the top and head to campground). There is a nasty, long, up hill, bolder section, right along the cliff in Kane that may trip up a Subie if you start from the campground.

My .02

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Hey-

I don't know if I'll be bringing the brat (I'll probably have doggie with me and I need a little more inside space.. plus I'm still trying to make it suitable for road trips).

And I know you guys are probably going for the "Subaru Brotherhood"

BUT

I was actually planning on visiting my parents in Wyoming that week. I was wondering... is it too much to ask... if I could be scribbled in as a tenative "yes" to the Moab thing?

Yes I'm a girl and Yes I'll probably be driving the Toyota...

I promise that as long as I get to ride in someone's car on some of the trails, I'll not be a nag or whine about my shoes getting dirty. (HAHAHA!)

So I picked up a book on 4x4'ing in Moab and I'm thinking camping in Kane Creek is lookin pretty good. It's right in the middle of some good stuff, and easy to get to from all directions. What do you guys (and gals) think? Also who all has CB's? I finally finished wiring mine up today, so what channel is "Subi only"?

So I picked up a book on 4x4'ing in Moab and I'm thinking camping in Kane Creek is lookin pretty good. It's right in the middle of some good stuff, and easy to get to from all directions. What do you guys (and gals) think? Also who all has CB's? I finally finished wiring mine up today, so what channel is "Subi only"?

It'll also put us by the river, so maybe John can catch us some dinner.

I've got a CB, installing it is on the to-do list. Strangely enough, cell phones work very well in Moab too. I once checked my voice mail from the middle of Canyonlands NP, just because I could. (No messages)

Hey Roc, what book didya get?

OK hows this for a plan, Friday night at Williams Bottom campground, Saturday morning Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Golden Bar to Gemini Bridges rd.(thats a full day if we can do the last section) Then Sat. night at Slick Rock for Hells Revenge, Fins, and Porcupine. What daya think?

Sweet82, have you been out on the Golden Bar/Spike trails? Do you have any beta on them?

Never Gonna Happen! :eek:

You ain't gettin a Subaru over Golden Spike. There is the Golden Crack which stops all unmodified Jeeps. :slobber: Sort of bridging the gap you'd never get a Subie through it.

http://www.4x4now.com/31jsgs.htm

Depending on the direction you run the trail there is an off camber section which is dangerous. Gearing and overhang is the problem we face in Moab with our Subies. It's the short STEEP climbs that will be the problems.

The gold bar trail is potentially do'able from the Gemini Bridges side. There is a lot of short walls to climb but some can be by-passed allowing Subaru Overhang to pass safely.

Because of the By-passes on Hells Revenge I think you could Sub over most of it with out much problem.

There is a problem section on Fins and Things that I'm not sure a subie could do. It's on the RHS of Sand Flats Road. No matter which way you go your going to hit either a overhang problem or a clearance/wheel lift problem. The portion of Fins on the LHS is doable and a must!

I haven't seen anything on Porcupine that I though was NOT doable in a Subie.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

There is the Golden Crack which stops all unmodified Jeeps.

Ya thats the spot I was afraid would stop us. I've seen pics of guys stuffing spare tires into it and driving over them but I'd hate to pop the bead on my only spare way out there. Thanks for the beta, may have to do an out and back on Spider.

What about "Portaging" the crack? Come prepared with a prota bridge? :lol:

"Top of the World" has not been mentioned and is doable in a Subie and the view can't be beat!!!

It would be a long hard uphill with a few steps but I think any lifted modifed Subie could make it. And a stock subie with the right driver :grin:

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Hmm..

I remember seeing an episode of Junkyard MegaWars where this British Team used a Cherokee as their rig. They build these small ramps to help them go over the rough stuff.

Looks exciting and fun.

Do we have a roll call for who is planning to go and what they are driving?

I will be coming with my wife. I have an unlifted BRAT. Although I may take my OBS.