Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MOAB meet April 15, 16, 17.

We can do Little Canyon rim as well. It shares some of it's route with Metal Masher, although the route I know (the bicycle route) will climb us up some ledgy but doable jeep road to the rim and view point, and then we'll descend Mirror Gulch and the slick rock field. Descending I don't think we'll have any problems.

That'll dump us on Gemini near Gooney Bird, and we can hit Gold Bar from there.

We could do PS in the morning out and back, then go up Longs Canyon to the NP, then catch Little Canyon Rim from the upper Gemini Trail head.

I think Flat Pass [steel Bender] is doable, although there may be an obstacle I'm forgetting. Porky is cool to run up to the viewpoint, but would be short. Something we could do there would be to shoot up sandflats to catch Porky out and back, then continue up Sand Flats, do a snow run through the La Sals, then drop back down to Spanish Valley RD and catch Flat Pass, ending basically back in town.

Edit: That would be Flat Pass south-north. Also the bicycle route, it's more down hill that way.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WARNING! Steel Bender has an impassable obsticale! :-\

There is a cliff on a corner slanted to the outside that the Subie overhang will not go up or down and there is NO bypass on this one. Even if you stack rocks it's not Soobable in either direction. You'd need a divorced T/C, winch and a good lift for this one. We went down it in a modified Cherokee and put a strap off the back to insure it wouldn't endo :slobber:

I went up Prichett out to the Hole in the Rock, ate lunch, then down Kane Creek and back to the beginning of Prichett (where your talking about camping) all on a Trials Bike! :eek:

:eek:SOLO! :eek: ...Had to lift the cycle up some of the ledges...

There ain't no way a Subie is going up or down that canyon.

WARNING! Steel Bender has an impassable obsticale!

I've done this trail more times then I can count on two wheels and I can't for the life of me picture what you're talking about.

Maybe there's a variation between Flat Pass and Steel Bender proper that I'm not aware of?

Regardless, if we started at Ken's Lake the obstacle would be downhill, and I'm not worried about going down what stock trucks can drive up.

Pritchett on the other hand, is definetly off limits. I usaually hike-a-bike from Kane Creek to the top of Hunter Canyon, past the ruins to the top of Pritchett, then bomb down. I personally can't carry my car up a 400 foot cliff, so that's not really a good route for us....:rolleyes:

If you start from Ken's lake the obsticale will be Uphill. Starting from Ken's lake you will drop through the river and slowly beging climbing and do a gradual left over the next several miles. You'd go through a small reviene then do a hard left up loose stuff to some large unmovable bolders. At that point your going up a loose rh sharp corner sloping to the cliff on the left. At that point your staring at a large 4-5' wall which you must climb. Once up the climb you must make your way up through the loose stuff on the steep hill. At the top of the hill is the second of two gates on that trail. It may be possible to winch some Subies up that but only with a heavy rig up top. This is real close to the Flat Pass trail. Once you get through this obstacle there are some sandy washes that can take you directly to Flat pass, bypassing a large part of Steel Bender.

What adds injury to insult ie virtually everything else on Steel bender has a by-pass or is Soobable.

If you start from Ken's Lake your not going to get a Subie up that cliff W/O some steel cable. :grin:

If you start from Ken's Lake your not going to get a Subie up that cliff W/O some steel cable. :grin:

Well, like I said "Steel Bender" may not be the route I take on my bike when I ride "Flat Pass"..... or maybe my bike just makes everything too easy.

I do think I know where yer talkin about now, though....

I should just go down there this weekend for recon. As well as I know the trails, it's just recently that I started to think about *driving* on them.

a month and a half to go.....who's ready? not me. but i will be! very psyched.

Just got my welded diff in today!

so it's lookin' like the colorado offroad subie prom.

Yeah, we all need to do a big mountain run this summer, too. That is, if yinz carbed cars can handle 14,000 feet or so.:D

S'ko, you're still coming? I hope you can get your Brat running good. It's on 14's at least, right? Even if you bring the OBS there's some great stuff that you and yer wife will dig.

Sweet82, you should try to make it!

Jibs, ShawnW, Ratty2, BlueSoob, Offroadsubaruguy have all expressed some interest, as well as a few others... What's the word?

I'll be real close!

I'm going to be in the San Rafael Swell (impacting the enviornment) that weekend. :eek:

Probably only an hour to the west. Love to hook up with you folks...

I'm not sure if "Summer" is going to make the trip to the Swell or not. I still have no trailer and my Trooper just blew the head gasket :banghead:

This is where friends come in handy :brow:

Whereabouts unknown,

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--wants to go the the San Raf.

01 Forester--been to the San Raf. (with all the other cactus hugging Subaru Owners--everyother car there is a Subaru)

a month and a half to go.....who's ready? not me. but i will be! very psyched.

I scored my full size spare yesterday, got a PM from P.K. today, looks like my 4/3 lift will be here at the end of the week, and my LSD is converted and ready to go in. That leaves swapping in a different tranny, rebuilding my carb, rebuilding an axle, and installing rear shocks, front bumper and push bar.

Heres to hoping it all comes together:drunk:

S'ko, you're still coming? I hope you can get your Brat running good. It's on 14's at least, right? Even if you bring the OBS there's some great stuff that you and yer wife will dig.

I still want to go. Wife is alittle apprehensive about driving the 11 hours in the Brat. I have to pass smog first with the Brat. Then everything else will be ok. NO. unfortunately I am running stock wagon wheels. I did want to fab a lift kit, but the main thing is time. I could go on a welding binge and try to get it all put together.

Sorta torn in the direction I want to build the Brat. Just found out that there is a rallyX series being held locally. Would like to use the BRAT for that, but problem is I am in the Street Stock 4WD drive class. I would get my butt kicked b/c I am going against stock WRX's. hmm.. 1.8 carb motor vs. 2.0 turbo.... The other direction is 6 inch lift and 28 inch wheels. Regardless I will not get things done by the time Moab hits. So will probably be running stock. Can cruise with you and check things out and go along the bypasses. OBS currently is not registered b/c I have two tickets on my license and it costs me $250.00 per month in insure.

SWEET82. Dude I haul my butt all the way to Utah and you flake. Sheesh... You'd better

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a solid plan yet? I need to plan for my days off....

Oh.. and will there be room for two others and a small pup somewhere in, on, or around someone's car?

(So that the Toyota doesn't mess up the Feng Shi of the line of Subies)

well, i finally got my scorpion springs for the legacy, and im still working on a few things here and there, but im hoping to get everything going before then, im hoping to get the 3 inch body lift before too long..... we'll have to see... if the old beast could make it there and back, i'd take it, cause i dont really care about beatin it up too much, but it might just fall apart on the way there......

We may have to burn the Toyota in some sort of ritual bonfire though.
I got dibs on the wheels! MMMMMMM 6lug!

No progress on my end, had to strip my hatch down the rails and send it to the yard(stupid HOA!) rather than do my lift install. Where is everyone else at? We're about 5 weeks away. Any thoughts on where to camp Friday night?

Where is everyone else at? We're about 5 weeks away. Any thoughts on where to camp Friday night?

i'll be ready, i haven't done anything to my car, but it's my every day driver, so it's allways ready, right? i still need to put the welded diff in and two front axels, and a tune up. thanks to shawn i have what it takes to stop the oil leakage. i'll do that too. less than a month to go. i think we'll have some fun. oh yeah, alittle "body work" is what i need too... gonna put on crappy fenders.

THAT'S where i'm at. where camping? dunno. i'm hoping to be out by gateway, CO thurseday. so shall be an early bird, when will everyone else show?

p.s. roc, thanks for the canoe tip, i can't buy now, cause of tight funds, probobly this summer, but definately send me leads like that one.

Where is everyone else at? We're about 5 weeks away. Any thoughts on where to camp Friday night?

Where am I at? I'm about to push my friggin car into the river, that's where.:banghead:

I dunno about camping Fri night, but I'll prolly work until 6 before I head down, so if you're coming in that night I'll we can meet up and go down together. Since you goota drive through GJ anyhow. When are you coming down John?

Where am I at? I'm about to push my friggin car into the river, that's where.:banghead:

I dunno about camping Fri night, but I'll prolly work until 6 before I head down, so if you're coming in that night I'll we can meet up and go down together. Since you goota drive through GJ anyhow. When are you coming down John?

aye we was replyin at the same time. look above yer post. i'll be through junction midday thurseday?

aye we was replyin at the same time. look above yer post. i'll be through junction midday thurseday?

I've got class and work on Fri, and need both the money and the grades. It's Friday night for me, assuming I have a running vehicle at that point. Sure as hell won't take it on the trail the way it is now.

You should drop by on you're way through that Thursday though.

I dunno about camping Fri night, but I'll prolly work until 6 before I head down, so if you're coming in that night I'll we can meet up and go down together. Since you goota drive through GJ anyhow.

I don't get out of work until 10:30 on Friday but I'm hoping surgerys will be light so I can bone out early. I won't know until Thursday afternoon how Friday is looking.

John, if your coming my way on Thursday I'll be home until about 1, you should try and swing by, I'll show you your Turbo.

quick question....whats the weather suppose to be like in april there???

I'd say (and not just cause I live here) that there is no better weather on Earth than Moab in spring. 70-80^ with blue skies is pretty much the rountine.

Moab in fall is also good. Or the middle of winter. Summer ain't too shabby either. This is October I think:

025.jpg