Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Random clicking sound behind instrument panel

2000 Outback Wagon with auto transmission. Makes random clicking sound behind instrument panel. I'm almost certain it is a relay picking up and dropping out. The sound is identical to what is heard when the transmission is shifted out of park but it does it at random while driving. Does not do this while stopped, only when in motion. Happens at any speed. The check engine light has never came on, the engine runs fine and transmission shifts normal. Does not affect car operation in any way the noise just gets annoying at times. Thought maybe someone else has had this problem and knows the cause.

Does it just happen when it's cold and while moving? I get amazing sounds from speedometer cable (I assume) when it is very far below zero. It is more of a whirring with clicks mixed in for a couple of miles until the grease warms up. Of course my brain is whirring and clicking at -25 also.

Is it like the crackling sound of gravel hitting the windshield? Is it related to vibration and road surface conditions, bumps etc.? I am trying to pin down a similar noise in my 2000 that first arose after the trany was replaced.

While test driving the car when the noise first appeared, the tech said it sounded like an electrical connector that was arcing. The condition currently seems more vibration related (that doesn't eliminate the possibility that the vibration is allowing the arcing to occur as the connection is altered). Any other symptoms?

It is not a crackling sound of like gravel hitting the windshield. It does seem to be related to vibration. Rough road surfaces usually make the sound more active. I suspect there is a bad connection at an electrical connector or dirty switch contacts somewhere. I'm hoping someone has fixed a problem similar to this, reads this message and explains how to fix the problem.

Is it like the crackling sound of gravel hitting the windshield? Is it related to vibration and road surface conditions, bumps etc.? I am trying to pin down a similar noise in my 2000 that first arose after the trany was replaced.

While test driving the car when the noise first appeared, the tech said it sounded like an electrical connector that was arcing. The condition currently seems more vibration related (that doesn't eliminate the possibility that the vibration is allowing the arcing to occur as the connection is altered). Any other symptoms?

Sounds like your legacy does the same thing as my outback. Hopefully some one will reply with help on how to fix it.

I have the same thing with my 98' legacy, its weird, doesnt affect anything just makes the damn clicking sound, god it gets annoying at times. I have no idea what the heck it is or how to get rid of it.

It does it while it cold and moving, also does it while its hot and moving in the summer. No whirring, I don't think it's a speedometer. Thanks for the reply.

Does it just happen when it's cold and while moving? I get amazing sounds from speedometer cable (I assume) when it is very far below zero. It is more of a whirring with clicks mixed in for a couple of miles until the grease warms up. Of course my brain is whirring and clicking at -25 also.

It sounds like your air conditioning system's relay.

In winter, when your climate controls are set to "defrost", your air conditioning system is automatically turned on too. You have no option to disable this. The idea is that the A/C will dry the defrost air somewhat.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done some looking for the source of this clicking sound and have determined it is coming from a solenoid under the steering column. The function of this device is to prevent the ignition key from going to the off position until the transmissin shift lever is in park. The wires to this solenoid have a connector that can be disconnected. I have disconnected the solenoid and now there is no more clicking. The trade off is the ignition key can be turned to the full off position and the key removed without going to park. This solenoid must be controlled by a position switch in the transmission lever assembly. My switch must be intermittent or there is a bad connection in the wiring. Can anyone help me with where this control switch is located. Access from inside or under neath the car. Has anyone had to deal with problems of this or other switches associated with the tranmission shift lever? Thanks

I have the same thing with my 98' legacy, its weird, doesnt affect anything just makes the damn clicking sound, god it gets annoying at times. I have no idea what the heck it is or how to get rid of it.