Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More rearend flex, without the shock's (ea81)

TheSubaruJunkie

I was wondering if it would help the rear end of our subies if we removed the shocks. When I 1st put the lift in, i ran it for about a week with no rear shocks and it was real bouncy. After trips like this:

005_G.jpg

It makes me wonder if it would make a difference. Maybe coupled with no front swaybar.

-Brian

you would want some shocks for control. get some that extend longer.

you will wear out your torsion bar by over flexing witn no shoxks.

but here is something fun to do before you put them backj in:

get a little speed, start tapping the brake to get the rump roast end bouncy, timing each stab of the brake as the car bounces up, and get the wheels to come about a foot off the ground. makes for great showing off!

is that pic w swaybar and shocks? At the rear I'm not sure how far you can go before the rear axles over-extend. The fronts are the big worry though, I'm trying to think of a way to make the struts have longer travel, or maybe to chuck the strut, and make an a-arm and a coil-over for the top.

I ran the Brat out at the dunes without any rear shocks. Lets just say that the first time the suspension had a chance to drop, there was a BOOM! It had ripped the axle out of both CV's, tore the boots, and the axle was laying in the sand. So the limit isn't really the torsion bar, the shocks limit the travel to prevent the CV's from being literally torn apart. If you get axles with like a slip yoke in em, then you could get IMHO up to 30" if not more of suspension travel.

Thanks NDJ, I've been asking questions about suspension for a while now, I finally got a response on what the angle limits of the cv's are. 30" sounds pretty good, maybe too gooc to be true? I am definitely going to try slip-yokes, In my quest for a subaru that can keep itself on all fours. To me, a pic of a subaru in that position is as embarrassing as a women having her skirt blow up in the wind, while she's not wearing underwear!:banana: No offense Brian, I'm talking about subaru's in general. And about shocks, without shocks in a rock crawling condition, you're going to get serious wheel hop, as your tires lose and gain traction, and it would probably end up bouncing you off the rock. It's also not good on drivetrain and suspension parts.