Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mid Engined Subaru??

Dr. RX

Well, I couldn't figure out where else to put this, so here it is. After I get my garage build (waiting on building permit approval now), I'm going to start gathering parts for a long term project. I made a rough sketch the other day and filled it in with fine point markers today, it is still pretty rough, but I've got time to smooth it out. It will be powered by an EJ20G (I just happen to have a space one sitting around). I tried to incorporate the new grille pattern that Subaru tends to be going towards into the design. I'd like to make the thing out of aluminum, but I need to get a TIG welder first. Anyway here is a link to the sketch, let me know what you think. http://corkysrocks.net/SubiMidEngProto.jpg

that looks cool Corky.

I'm sure some yaahoos around here will tell you it needs a 10" lift....

But seriously, are you thinking tube frame, sort of like the LoCost 7s and 11s people are building?

Aluminum body work? Are you going get/build an english wheel for that?

Anyway, looks like a cool project and although the sketches are still, well, sketches, I can see it, and I want to drive it

:headbang:

good luck with the garage/shop

garner

Actually I was think of a box channel type aluminum frame, similar to the 2005 Chevy Corvette. Yep, I'll have an English Wheel, that is the first tool on the list for the new garage, then a good HVLP paint system, next it will be a set of a metal stretcher and shrinker. I've got most of the other metal working tools, but a pneumatic planishing hammer would be nice.

Tranny wouldn't be a big deal in my opinion. Use a FWD legacy trans or if you wanted AWD you could run the tailshaft into a box and send a drive shaft up the middle to an LSD for the front end. I have though along these lines (the car) too once before but I am seriously lacking in the ability and space to do something like this.... Corky: You just might be on to something.... :D

Matt

If you look in the 'For Sale" section you find that awhile ago, I stated that I was looking for a FWD 5 speed EJ series tranny, that is the tranny that I would be using. I thought about twin turbo, and that might be an option later, but for the first engine, it will have the single turbo.

who's doin your concrete for your shop?i could probably get you some cheaper than your use to labor.......i help anyway i can:brow:
It's a long way from here to Spokane, the commute would eat up any profit you might make. I had two bids and took the one that did that most, the prices were very close, but one was willing to do a lot more for basically the same price.

Way kewl Doc, has some lines of GT 40

I am sure you know Al can be MIG welded.

Faster than TIG but may not be as strong.

I can only think of a very few guys who

could pull this off

You are on that short list.

Good luck

may the power of the Pleiades be with you

I would do the frame in tube steel just because it is easier to get a tube steel frame right than an aluminum one. Use the WRX rear Xmember and struts for the rear, and a Vette front suspension kit for the front. For the engine I would go with the STI and MT6. You can lock the DCCD for 100% front power and remove the rear housing to shorten it. The body could be either laid up from a mold in fiberglass or CF. I would just take an existing kit car shell and modify it.

But I think for less than 25~30gs you would have a car weighing in the low 2000s with 3~500 horse depending on your interests.

I would do the frame in tube steel just because it is easier to get a tube steel frame right than an aluminum one. Use the WRX rear Xmember and struts for the rear, and a Vette front suspension kit for the front. For the engine I would go with the STI and MT6. You can lock the DCCD for 100% front power and remove the rear housing to shorten it. The body could be either laid up from a mold in fiberglass or CF. I would just take an existing kit car shell and modify it.

But I think for less than 25~30gs you would have a car weighing in the low 2000s with 3~500 horse depending on your interests.

Well at least we know how you'd do it! :lol:

The concept is sweet, but with aluminum you'll sure have your work cut out for you. I personally would go with steel for the frame, and an aluminum body would be awesome. Aluminum is not very practical though, it dents very easy, and doesnt have as much memory as steel, so it can get wavy just from people leaning against it.

The concept is sweet, but with aluminum you'll sure have your work cut out for you. I personally would go with steel for the frame, and an aluminum body would be awesome. Aluminum is not very practical though, it dents very easy, and doesnt have as much memory as steel, so it can get wavy just from people leaning against it.
Gee if I wanted something with memory, I'd used titanium. :lol: It has been my experience the steel doesn't have any more memory then aluminum, it is just that un-tempered aluminum bends (crushes) much easier then steel. But then the idea it not to crunch it, so I will take the one that is easier to form. Using box and channel aluminum for the frame is not that much harder the using tubular steel, it is just a matter of what type of hydraulic press you are using for forming.

Easy solution... dont let anyone lean on it. Corky, I say... do what you wish :) You wont see me try to change your mind. Except, i'd really think about that twin turbo idea. Just to add more Super to the SuperCar.

-Brian

Brian, thanks for the support, and I haven't left out the twin turbo idea, just that the first version will be what I have on hand. If you know me, I can't leave anything alone, ie the EJ20G powered RX, the WRX conversion to an Impreza Brighton, a Chevy 454 4X4 conversion into a 87 3/4 ton Chevy pickup (they never came that way from the factory), and many others, so once this project is running, I'm sure that I will never be satisfied with it and will be trying new things all the time. If it does get a twin turbo, it will be of my design since the Subaru twin turbo setup is progressive, mine would work together, basically two turbocharged 2 cylinder engines joined at the crankshaft.