Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyal Won't Start

I was driving about 60mph and the care died. I coasted to the side and towed it home. I did notice that one of the spark plug wires was pulled off. I put it back on but I cannot start the car.

It has Spark.

It is getting fuel.

the timing belts seem to be fine.

It turns over but never begins to start.

Any suggestions?

how much have you checked the timing belts? It could be the driver side one slipped a tooth or two, putting everything out of timing.

This sounds strangly like my problem here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27920

I ended up pulling the plugs, waiting about 10 minutes, putting other dry plugs in, then it finally started.

good luck

I used my handy Chiltons book and with the covers off made sure everything lined up correctly. I'm pretty sure it's correct. In a previous Subaru I changed the belts and it actually started the first time! DOH!

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I have the same luck.

how much have you checked the timing belts? It could be the driver side one slipped a tooth or two, putting everything out of timing.

This sounds strangly like my problem here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27920

I ended up pulling the plugs, waiting about 10 minutes, putting other dry plugs in, then it finally started.

good luck

Spark: I pulled a plug and had my daughter turn it over while I held it close to the bloc...there was spark (i didn't check all of them though)

Gas: I can see gas spraying into the carb.

Power: ? Not sure what to look for.

Timing: I don't have a timing light but then that wouldn't help if I can't start it.

Air: ? Not sure what to look for.

Just before the car broke down it seemed to be missing, then it just died and i coasted to the side of the road. It would turn over but not start. I should also add that the day before, I checked the oil. I must of hit one of the plug wires on the distributer cap not realizing it. After it broke down I saw that one to the spark plug wires was off (explains the missing).

The good news is that i have another subaru with a blown engine that I can salvage parts off of so if I have to "try replacing ..." then it won't be costly for me.

If you have any advice, I would appreciate it.

The five elements for a car to run:

Spark

Gas

Power (Computor)

Timing

and

AIR

The problem must be with one of these.

If you could give me more info I might be able to help.

Good Luck.

its gotta be something simple but troubleshooting will find it. try the codes they are in the haynes book and are posted on USRM-repair&mod. the code will telly ou exactyly whats wrong. if you dont get any codes then suspect the timing alignment of the belts and cam vs distributor

Thanks! I'll try it tonight.

its gotta be something simple but troubleshooting will find it. try the codes they are in the haynes book and are posted on USRM-repair&mod. the code will telly ou exactyly whats wrong. if you dont get any codes then suspect the timing alignment of the belts and cam vs distributor

The problem was a bad distributer. I replaced it and the car started. Thanks for the input.

I found that it was the distributer when I checked for spark from the coil. There was spark. so I pulled a plug and checked for spark and there was no spark. So I pulled the distributer from my parts car and plopped it in and presto...spark!