Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to expect while approaching 130,000kms+ on a 99 Forester

Hey all,

We have owned our 99 Forester for 2 years now and totally love it, and want to ensure we maintain it to the best of our abilities. We have done all the dealer scheduled service maintanence up to 110,000kms, so my question is to anyone out there: What to Expect from here on out??

Can anyone give me tips and hints on some of the issues they are starting to see as the milage is climbing on their Forester's? Things that go wrong, wear out, etc...?

Thanks all!

Hey all,

We have owned our 99 Forester for 2 years now and totally love it, and want to ensure we maintain it to the best of our abilities. We have done all the dealer scheduled service maintanence up to 110,000kms, so my question is to anyone out there: What to Expect from here on out??

Can anyone give me tips and hints on some of the issues they are starting to see as the milage is climbing on their Forester's? Things that go wrong, wear out, etc...?

Thanks all!

.....My 99 Forester has 273,600 kms. The second CV boot just ripped. Other than that nothing, nada, zippo. Total repairs....2 CV boots over 171,000 miles, not too shabby. Three things. I live in South Carolina-no winters. I do a lot of highway driving (150,000 miles on one pair of brake shoes). Tomorrow the the engine could fall out, you just never know. Do ya?

Hey all,

Thanks all!

We have had our Subaru for about 2 years and it has 73,000 miles on it. The transmission is now exhibiting a problem. The transmission will go into reverse, but when shifted to drive the transmission will not engage without reving the engine. I hear that it is a seal problem that has been addressed in the 2000 model.

Rear wheel bearings have also been going bad on Foresters. The exact mileage seems to vary quite a bit, 30,000 miles-90,000 miles.

The timing belt must be inspected. This engine is an "interference engine" and any timing belt breakage will do damage.

I did see a recall notice for Forester brake master cylinders having a faulty valve.

The only other parts replaced so far are a set of brake pads and a set of tires.