Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suboat pics

Mudboat

I have a few pics up (finally) after re-sizing. I have some more but I'll have to wait until I have a little time to re-size them as well.

Specs: The boat is 16' long, fiberglass with 2" floatation in floor. EA81 Inboard, shaft through the bottom. Keel cooled. Flywheel machined to accept marine damper plate and coupled to a 1 to 1 Borg Warner Velvet drive clutch. 10" SS 2-blade prop. 5300 RPM and top speed of 42 mph. Unstoppable in shallow water and soft mud. Blows through hydrilla and water lillies.

See recent photos in photo gallery...

There are 5 guys in my hunting club and all of them have soobs in their boat. No 2 are alike. 2 with EA81's (mine included), 2 with EA-82's and one with a super 16. The nicest rig is one with an EA-82. The hull it totally customized with all kinds of trick features, most notable is the home-made Ram-Air Induction he built in to the engine cover. He claims it increased his RPMs from 5200 to 5500. He also built a wet exhaust exchanger that exhaust's out the back of the hull. Some use a diesel equipment silencer in place of dual mufflers to reduce noise. Note: My boat is quite loud with dual cheapie mufflers... But it still sounds sweet...

OMG! That is soooooo cool!

Does anybody run jet drives down there? I would assume not because it's not THAT shallow and weeds n' such would be problematic.

I haven't seen a jet drive, but that don't mean there aren't any.

Our boats are used strictly for marsh hunting. There's nothing worse than hitting a pile of water lillies or thick hydrilla with a 24hp Kohler inboard and not having enough power to bust out. Soobs literally eat that stuff for lunch with the right prop. I've never gotten it stuck, not even in solid mud with the consistency of oatmeal.... Built for power more than speed...