Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strength of the XT6 5spd

I think all of the EA trannys are over built, but thats me. I'd say it should handle 300 easy, aslong as you know how to drive. (ie no clutch dropping, use a spring hub clutch disk, and no hard shifting)

(all things expressed here are opinions)

They did not offer this tranny with the SVX, only the auto because it could not handel the 3.3's power.

Heck, the auto couldn't handle the 3.3's power. I know it could if it was properly cooled (via tranny cooler) but factory stock, it wasn't the case. Put a shift kit and tranny cooler on that baby and the skies the limit. Actually, a shift kit and tranny cooler seems like it would be the ticket on most autos.

As far as I've heard the the XT6 used the same trans as the EA82 cars and it holds up in the XT6 for 200,000+ miles so I'm sure it could handle a bit more power, but at 50% over stock I wouldn't place any bets. Remember its torque that kills trannies not HP, those are the numbers you really need to look at.

One question tho... If you are going EJ why not just use the EJ trans as well?

Gary

Ive gone thru 4 transmissions on my turbo cars. I drove all of them HARD HARD HARD. I see no reason why they would not hold up to 300 hp....

and by gone thru by just swapping them in and out. 2WD XT turbo tranny lasted thru the worst abuse EVAR!!!!!

FT4WD single range from an XT lasted thru the 3rd worst case of abuse...still VERY hard running.

the two RX boxes I have were used for serious autoxing and serious launching. Still running smooth and quiet.