Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crazy T-case idea, not what you think

NoahDL88

So once you get the T-case you have two perfectly good stub shafts that are spinning as you're driving, and could also be spinning with the car at a stand still in 2wd, so heres the theory, make them a PTO, air compressor? thats all, just wanted to get this in print before i forgot.

So once you get the T-case you have two perfectly good stub shafts that are spinning as you're driving, and could also be spinning with the car at a stand still in 2wd, so heres the theory, make them a PTO, air compressor? thats all, just wanted to get this in print before i forgot.

Lumpycam already beat you to it buddy. . .

Got this idea about a year ago and am currently trying to accumulate the parts. I'll use DOJ cups to attach a variable displacement hydraulic pump to each axle stub. These will be plumbed "in parallel" to each other and will run a military type hydraulic winch mounted at the vehicle's center of gravity. a roller fairlead will be mounted above it so that the center-mounted winch can pull the vehicle in any desired direction, to include straight up.

But the front diff is open, so you'd have to deal with that somehow.
I thought of that same thing when I first read this thread. It can be easily solved by putting a couple of tack welds onto one stub to hold it still. Voila! Instant "locker". :grin:

Maybe a lil piece of steel or something set up at an angle from the top of the stub down to the case. Something that can easily be removed and wouldnt fark up the seals there at the stub. It wouldnt take all that much pressure/strength to lock down one side..

If My memory serves me correctly....( it's been a Year plus since I saw It....)

What he did was Took a CV cup, and Welded a Pully to it, then up where spare should have been he set up a York compressor with a pully as well....What he did for clutch to run it was just a idler pully that cammed over a fucrum point to tension up the belt enough to run the compressor.....

Put it on the passenger side as it is normally your driver/power side in the trans.....In 2WD mode you can run any gear......

You will have to play with different pully set ups, as his worked, but not as well as it could or should have.....

We thought up the Idea before the Rubicon trip while we were sticking the BEAST together......I wanted to do it as well, but didn't have the time......

Have fun, John