Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subiesport Mag 'old school' Project

Hey All,

Subiesport Magazine is considering purchasing a 1980's-style Subaru to run first in the No Alibi TSD rally (June 11th-12th), then prep for full-on rally--hopefully making its debut at the Ramada Express Pro Rally later this year. We don't expect to win. We only ask that the car can finish reliably. After a year-or-so we'll then upgrade to a more class-specific competitive vehicle...and keep this one around for offroading and such.

So, members of the USMB, it is in your hands: Which old-school Subaru should we consider for this project and why? Oh, and we want to spend under $1000 for the vehicle. I'll check in on this thread regularly.

Thanks,

Ryan Douthit, Publisher

Subiesport Magazine

http://www.subiesport.com

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ryan.

Although I don't have a specific car in mind for your rally car, I'd be willing to vollunteer my mechanical (ie: suspension, body work, interior) skills and garage (for a couple weeks/weekends) to help get it together. I have a lot of tools, (ie:jacks. stands/ ramps/ any hand tools needed for an EA Soob, others) no air tools, but may have access to them just the same. Easy access to a hoist.

I'm near North Gate, just off of I-5.

chairotsu @ earthlink.net

Eric Zap

Ryan, I'm here to offer my support.

I would look into picking up an RX coupe or RX sedan of the '87 vintage or so.

XSNRG here on this board has an RX coupe shell (which Zap has some experience working with) that perhaps could be picked up for really cheap. Then we could source getting the engine, trans, lsd togther.

This shell already has served soem rallying duty previously by Sean of Rallitek. It has a cage in it, but not quite to spec. Its already stripped interior wise...

As for engine mods, I have a pretty good idea of what does, and doesn't work at this point. Having a heavily modified RX myself (street) and a hand in heavily modifying other turbo 80's soob, I feel I have some good experience.

I am more than eager to help, get my hands dirty, and share some dirty secrets... Just let me know when you are ready to find out how quickly you can blow up an EA82T motor ;) j/k... well kinda :-P

Ryan, Danbob99 aka Dan (works at Smart Service) has perhaps the fastest EA82T in the area. Its a GL10 wagon, pretty much fully loaded, and it still hauls balls.

I've helped him mod his car from day one, learning alot from my mistakes. I continue to try new things (thus my car runs infrequently) and what works is usually passed on to him.

I spoke with him this afternoon and he would be more than happy to give you a ride, or let you drive his wagon so you can get a feel of what can be expected. I also have a bone stock auto turbo xt if you want to get a good baseline...