Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subiesport Mag 'old school' Project

Looks like you are only planning to complete, not compete. I'm sure that the price is right, but if it has set a long time, you'd better replace all the seals, repack all the wheel bearing, and replace all the fluids.

Does your grandfather live in Issaquah??

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your grandfather live in Issaquah??
Nope, in Bow...just north of Mount Vernon.

With this we'd be looking to 'duke' it out in the historic class. Of course, that now means that the "real old school" is covered and we can upgrade next year to an RX.

Note that I only wanted to be able to participate with this first car out. Granted, this is a bit more "classic" than I was expecting (being the first year Subaru introduced an AWD car in the U.S. makes it a pretty special model). Also, when we "move up" we can keep fileding this one in historic...or, at least that would be one option.

And as far as sitting too long, he does rotate his vehicles around. I'm not sure what he's done with this one. But he has a circa 1930's dumptruck and a 1920's CAT he still uses regularly. "no reason to buy newer ones, these work just fine!"

-R

I guess you don't want to completely destroy it, after all it is a classic, I mean wouldn't you want the fun of parking it in a lot and having everybody stare at it? I mean you don't see many cars like that around anymore, and besides it has character. Please tell us how it runs with the 1400cc engine (if it is working). I would be fascinated to hear it (not a fast ride for sure!), too bad you are on the other side of the US :(

I have to give you credit, it is OLD school ;)

I guess you don't want to completely destroy it, after all it is a classic, I mean wouldn't you want the fun of parking it in a lot and having everybody stare at it? I mean you don't see many cars like that around anymore, and besides it has character. Please tell us how it runs with the 1400cc engine (if it is working). I would be fascinated to hear it (not a fast ride for sure!), too bad you are on the other side of the US :(

I have to give you credit, it is OLD school ;)

I'm going to get an inventory of what needs to be done to it this weekend. Hopefully, it'll be in good enough condition to get it running in time for the WCSS7. Worst case scenario...it's at least light enough to tow with the RS ;)

Nope, in Bow...just north of Mount Vernon.

-R

The reason I asked is because I know where there is a pristine late 70's wagon tucked away on a back road in Issaquah, I thought that might have been it. And no, I'm not telling anyone where it is.

Geez, I guess if I ever want an OLD car I need to go out west. (don't have anywhere to put one now!) The oldest I have seen here is a rusted-out, beaten-up 1980 in a junkyard. I know where one is that had a third eye, but most of the mechanism is gone and the rest is rusted solid. Was the third-eye available in 82/83? Anyway, best of luck - just make sure you have good CV boots!! Granted I have no rally expierence, but an old-school Soob with a good disty and carb. should get you through a lot. I think you should at the very least finish, and beat most anything 2WD :)

I get the feeling we'd still get creamed by Glenn Wallace's Historic RWD Ford Cortina (the only other 'regular' historic running club events on the west coast)

:D

My favorite Wallace quote "we slid around a corner and took out a taillight...bummer since thats one of three I know of still in existance"

:banana:

(and yes, I'm paraphrasing Glenn)

I found a pic:

<snip>

Though the one we have is red...

There's a silver wagon like that one sitting in a carport on my way to work every morning. The guy that lives there can't drive anymore, he'd probably let it go cheap. I've never stopped to check on it myself, I don't really need any more subies. :lol:

There's a silver wagon like that one sitting in a carport on my way to work every morning. The guy that lives there can't drive anymore, he'd probably let it go cheap. I've never stopped to check on it myself, I don't really need any more subies. :lol:

Hmm....possible parts car?

I did a bit more research on the '76 1400 DL. As I had hoped that model was indeed the factory car for the U.S. Ski team.

8pc207m.jpg

There's my target. :D

I think I saw somewhere that had those decals still available, I'll look and see if I can find where I saw them.

There was a 1980 Ski Wagon on ebay recently. It was amazing, somehow it still had its original decals, most in good shape. Did have some rocker pannel rust though.

that's McBrat's, it didn't sell, great car, and yes, he has an (almost) complete set of decals for it, and I know he does some decal cutting, he may be able to reproduce the one for yours.

Yep, the one on eBay was mine....

I do have a few original Gen1 door decals in the same shape as the one on the door of the 76 ski wagon, but they are not the US flag style. mine have a white "S" with red on one side of the S and blue on the other side, and then "4WD" is in the middle flat part of the "S"...

Yep, the one on eBay was mine....
Eeeeeeexcellent. Can you email over some photos from different angles of the car you have? Also, I'd be interested in buying a sticker set--right after I take a look at my families' car one more time (just to make sure I'm not getting in over my head ;))

Of course, I'm assuming it still has some of the elements from the original use...if not, then I really dont need them.

My Wagon was the 80-84 body style.

I unfortunately cannot make that big of a decal needed to fully replicate them...

I'll try to find the pics of the Gen1 decals tonight

Here's the 1980 Ski Wagon that was on eBay...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/mick/gallery/webski/skisoob.html

My Wagon was the 80-84 body style.

I unfortunately cannot make that big of a decal needed to fully replicate them...

I'll try to find the pics of the Gen1 decals tonight

Here's the 1980 Ski Wagon that was on eBay...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/mick/gallery/webski/skisoob.html

Might be able to just reproduce decals for the doors; then paint the fenders to match. Not a very complex design to paint on the fenders.

Just an idea :drunk:

Might be able to just reproduce decals for the doors; then paint the fenders to match. Not a very complex design to paint on the fenders.

Just an idea :drunk:

Here's a long-shot...anyone know the company that did the *original* sticker and paint jobs on the Ski Team cars?

:brow:

Here's a long-shot...anyone know the company that did the *original* sticker and paint jobs on the Ski Team cars?

:brow:

they used factory white wagons. All the color was through decals. My set came from a Subaru office somewhere near the mountains, and were supposedly a prototype set...

There are some sights where you can get new US Ski Team decals, but have not seen anything for the older ones.....

I have talked with a rep from the USSA and he said there were hundreds of the Ski Wagons over the years, but when they sold the older ones at auctions, they normally stripped off the decals. Mine slipped through the cracks somehow....