Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subiesport Mag 'old school' Project

Hey All,

Having actually done the Ramada Express (Amature GPS event on pro stages/course),2001, well hey, gotta throw my 2 cents in here.

Did it an SUV with my wife. My 82 wagon wasn't quite ready for the trip/challenge (2k miles round-trip from SF plus event itself).......my wife's not an iron bottom.....yet.

Organisers are good people, Rally America Grp has taken over SCCA rally program, support them! They also know my car from course working at the Gorman rally 2002. Drove two stages (8 &9) to get to my post, great time & people.

Here's what I think.

For style, classicness and Sube exposure, take an EA81....SKI TEAM example or replica would be great ha ha ha! (MacBrat still got those decals???)

things to consider.....altitude & weather, finishing is primary goal. Heater/defroster gotta work, along with all wipers....it was freezing!!

Grand Canyon Rim is at 6800 feet. In 2001, a couple of stages had a foot of snow to plow thru in some tight twisty stuff. Dual range 4wd a good thing. Turbo would be better for power at altitude

Most of the stages were smooth, wide and fast, Ramada in known as a driver favorite!! I got up to 90mph, a course worker in a WRX broke 110mph.....pro racers will do 120mph+ depending on conditions.

If I hadn't gotten into the vintage racing thing with my brothers, my 82 GLW would have a cage and be out there. Now itsa good gravel car/urban assault commuter driven daily.

Here's what i built with this event in mind:

82 GLW w/ dual range, freshly painted white w/ WRX like hood scoop,

rear disc conversion, Weber carb, bigger exhaust w/ turbo muffler, KYBs all around, long A-style push bar w/ custom skid plate covering entire lwr section of motor push bar (snow plow/skid), roof rack lights (frt & rear), rear seat removed, GL-10 buckets seats.

Here's what's on the bench that has yet to go into car-

EA81Turbo, full RX drive line (ie:close ratio 5spd with locking ctr dif. with D/R & 3.7 LSD), custom axels, RX rear control arms and sway bar, full set of 14" alloy PUGs.

only needs EA82 frt Brakes and ea82 frt wheel bearing housings. I would take extra front CV axles, seems to me the weakest link in these cars

this combo was in working car and hauled butt!! (for an ol' Sube)

This car/project could be available, I'm currently building up a vintage track car for this season and might need the space.

Snow White has been fully foto/receipt documented and is known by a few NorCal board members.

We gotta get a vintage Sube out there people!!

Don't need to win (you won't), just finish. Vintage sube would be competitive with the classic 2wd cars, they get stuck and have no traction in the slippery stuff...rally smart and steady.

-ShanonSF

82 GLW "Snow White"

00 Xterra "Tonka"

71 BMW CS "Elvis"

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having owned an 80 hatch, 1600cc, an 83 hatch, 1800cc, an 83 wagon, 1800cc, an 85 turbo wagon, an 86 GL turbo coupe (pre RX model), an 86 GL-10 turbo sedan, 4 RX coupes, I'm here to tell you that the EA81s don't hold a candle to the EA82s when it comes to handling. And now that I own a 96 Impreza that has been modified to WRX level, neither of them come even close to it.

That $1000 race budget is a bit tight but I'm sure people will "donate" all sorts of parts etc just to get their name painted on the side of the car.

If you're not neccesarily racing to win, how about a '81 Brat? Gen1 cool yet it should have a EA81 engine. Don't know if it's still for sale or what condition it's in, but there's been one on Craig's for $750 tp://seattle.craigslist.org/car/

Seems like I read somewhere that a slower car or even a 2wd car is good for learning rally skills? (Shrug) I bet any early Soob will be plenty exciting at 100+mph on a snowy road in the middle of nowhere.

Anything for sale on Ben's Rally Page?

Having owned an 80 hatch, 1600cc, an 83 hatch, 1800cc, an 83 wagon, 1800cc, an 85 turbo wagon, an 86 GL turbo coupe (pre RX model), an 86 GL-10 turbo sedan, 4 RX coupes, I'm here to tell you that the EA81s don't hold a candle to the EA82s when it comes to handling. And now that I own a 96 Impreza that has been modified to WRX level, neither of them come even close to it.
maybe you just weren't driving it right? it takes a different skill to drive it fast, which I was used to when I first got my RX and thought it was slow and handled like crap. but now that I see the difference its faster cause it has more power and FT4wd.

Hmmm.... thinking about what your objectives are for this project, I would look at Richie's T-coupe. Other than that, I would seriously consider finding an EA82 Turbowagon or Turbosedan. I would go with the wagon because not too many people race wagons and it would get lots of attention. They are also most clearly identifiable as an old-school Subaru. They are plentiful and can generally be had cheaply in decent shape. With the assistance of the members of this board, surely you could find either a complete car or all the pieces to make one for less than your budget. Then you could spend that exta money on making sure it's in tip-top shape (like has been said, cooling system is priority #1 if you want to finish a rally), or putting a few mods on (decent rally tires, rear LSD, RX tranny, intercooler + more boost....). This approach would be the most "accessable" of all the routes you could go. Not to diss the XT6 crowd, but $500 T-wagons are more "accessable" than XT6's.

Just my .02. I know it's pretty similar to my earlier post, but I stand by my opinion.

maybe you just weren't driving it right? it takes a different skill to drive it fast, which I was used to when I first got my RX and thought it was slow and handled like crap. but now that I see the difference its faster cause it has more power and FT4wd.
Gee let me see, do I have any high speed driving expertence? I probably have more years of racing experience then you have driving experience. Two years SCCA F Production, racing an Alfa Romeo Guiletta Spyder Veloce, two seasons Barstow to Bakersville desert racing in So Cal, 1st year 2WD class, 2nd year 4WD class. One season of rally in the Pacific Northwest, back when we held an event for the WRC, that was in another rally prepped Alfa. My fastest speed on dirt was 120 mph on a stretch between Barstow and Bakersville. Yes, I know what it takes to drive fast, not only on pavement, but on the dirt too. So anytime you what to take me on, go for it, but I hope you like crow.

I would like to challenge Dr. RX.

Dr. RX's 96 WRX Replica VS WJM's 1987 RX. :-p

The ultimate test would ofcourse be the Dragon area of NC...near Robbinsville NC. High speed Skyway is a test of high speed vehical dynamics and driving skill. The actual Dragon is a test of 2nd-3rd-4th gear speeds and is 100000% more driver involvement. There are also a MANY LONG TIGHT TWISTY gravel roads about the Dragon area, with quite a few higher speed sections as well. mosty 3rd-4th stuff...some sections of 5th+....we we went that fast too.

I had ZERO issues easily OUTRUNNING the WRX's that came out to the last meet and previous meets, on all 3 terrains. My only issue were the STi's that came out...at the time I had the stock clutch, so it slipped at anything above 11 PSI. Otherwise, thru the corners on the Dragon and Skyway, I was right on their back door. Gravel="RX? Where? Oh, he's way up there."

JWX and many on NASIOC can attest to the speed of my RX.

You pay for the shipping of my car to the east coast and back, a day to get familiar with the course and your on. I honestly believe that only thing that kept me from going professional is the fact that I live of the west coast, When I was running SCCA, the national boys didn't like it, I took points away from them, but they were glad I only ran the west coast events. In those days you had to run the east coast or southern Cal to get noticed, I ran neither. Or, you could come out here and we could go to my old stomping grounds, Pacific International Raceway.

i believe he means it was an all optioned out GL TURBO coupe...even with the RX package. However, the actual RX coupe was not avalible until 1987....RX sedans in all different colors were avalible in 1985 and 1986...but the real deal RX's were not avalible until...you gussed it, 1987. Sedan's last year was 1988, Coupe 1989...but the so called "Loyale RS" was basically an RX...but single range, and no turbo...turbo was optional....and Coupe only.

Speaking of that...I know where an RS is...I should go pick that thing up....

How rare are RX's really, I mean I live in Raleigh, and I have never seen an RX here. I see old Loyale's, and GL's frequently, in fact there is an old white 1985 XT 2WD which is rusted out sitting in front of the dining hall all the time (I am at NCSU) but I have never seen an RX. When I finish the BMW I might sell it and get something like that to play with (that is a long way off). On second thought, I don't think my brother should not have anything turbocharged for his first car (that is who would probably get it eventually) - the thought of him driving at all scares me! (and he is 15!)

What is the difference between an 85-86 RX and the "real RX"? Is it the new MPFI system on the 87? If I ever can get one, I want to get the real thing.

I guess I must be looking in the wrong places. I usually am between Raleigh and Elkin (my 88 and 86 year-old grandparents live there) and my main parts source is in Sparta (Hal's Parts and Service). I was in Asheville about a year ago, but I wasn't there for long (just looking at the university). Nice town - I collect vinyl on the side and Asheville has a nice selection, but a bit pricy. I guess RX's are more popular on the western end of the state.

I guess RX's are more popular on the western end of the state.

Actually, ive only seen ONE RX in WNC...the other 4 were seen in Concord NC....right in the middle of the state almost. I purchased 2 of those. :grin:

Ive actually seen about 10, yes, TEN, 3 door coupes out here tho. :eek::slobber:

Gee let me see, do I have any high speed driving expertence? I probably have more years of racing experience then you have driving experience. Two years SCCA F Production, racing an Alfa Romeo Guiletta Spyder Veloce, two seasons Barstow to Bakersville desert racing in So Cal, 1st year 2WD class, 2nd year 4WD class. One season of rally in the Pacific Northwest, back when we held an event for the WRC, that was in another rally prepped Alfa. My fastest speed on dirt was 120 mph on a stretch between Barstow and Bakersville. Yes, I know what it takes to drive fast, not only on pavement, but on the dirt too. So anytime you what to take me on, go for it, but I hope you like crow.
I wasn't saying that you didn't now how to drive, just that you didn't know how to drive your hatches fast (well as fast as the ultra high HP rating of 67-74 would let you:)) with all of your experience in "sports cars" I'd say you could out drive me with us both in anything but hatches, that’s what I thought myself to drive it I know the in and outs of it. it takes a different driving style to make it go fast, then it does for pretty much anything else.

I wasn't saying that you didn't now how to drive, just that you didn't know how to drive your hatches fast (well as fast as the ultra high HP rating of 67-74 would let you:)) with all of your experience in "sports cars" I'd say you could out drive me with us both in anything but hatches, that’s what I thought myself to drive it I know the in and outs of it. it takes a different driving style to make it go fast, then it does for pretty much anything else.
Alright, Hatches it is, in fact we'll use your's. that way the fastest will be the best driver because the car will be the same. I have driven so many different types of cars, it would be a long post to list all of them. Lets put it as just about everything from an 18 wheeler to a BWM Isetta. Driving a hatch is not any more of a challenge that any other car, sorry that it was for you.

Alright, Hatches it is, in fact we'll use your's. that way the fastest will be the best driver because the car will be the same. I have driven so many different types of cars, it would be a long post to list all of them. Lets put it as just about everything from an 18 wheeler to a BWM Isetta. Driving a hatch is not any more of a challenge that any other car, sorry that it was for you.
wait a minunte here, who said it was a challenge? you said they weren't fast, I said it took a different driving skill, and no you want to make personal attacks on me? ok fine. when you grow up I might let you drive one of my cars. / thread hijack

wait a minunte here, who said it was a challenge? you said they weren't fast, I said it took a different driving skill, and no you want to make personal attacks on me? ok fine. when you grow up I might let you drive one of my cars. / thread hijack
Too funny, you let me drive one of your cars. :lol:

WJM, you're right, we need to get back on track here. I just have this thing about my ability being challenged.

Okay, here's something out of left field.

I was visiting my grandfather this past weekend and there's an old wagon he's had sitting in the tool shed for as long as I can remember. I didn't think twice about it normally. However, this time I looked closer:

It's a 1976 Subaru 1400 4WD wagon with manual tranny. There's also a 'spare' engine pulled from a JDM model just waiting to get installed . :slobber:

Check out the stats:

(from cars101.com)

Front wheel drive or 4wd (wagon only)

Engines: 2 barrel carbed 4 cylinder 1.4L or 1.6L OHV 'quadrozontal' engine, known today as 'horizontal opposed', SEEC-T' (Subaru Exhaust Emission Control-Thermal)

Transmssions: syncromeshed manual 4 spd, manual 5 spd, Automatic 3 spd (not avail in Califonia: 5spd manual, automatic)

Suspension: 4 whl independent

Steering: rack and pinion, 13" wheels

Brakes: power assist front disc, rear drum

Economy- 29/39 (5 spd manual, US spec, not Ca spec)

Fuel tank: 2/4 door: 13.2 US gallons. Wagon: 11.8 USG

Turning radius: 4wd wagon 75: 31.6ft, 76: 32ft

AM radio,