Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1983 front brakes into 1980 wagon

Guest RTFMharpua

Guest RTFMharpua

Has anyone done this conversion? Is it just bolt on, or are there special mods that need to be done? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

I am also looking for the parts to do this conversion.

thanks

harpua

Guest ShawnW

Back me up guys I know this was done before and I am the one that stuck his neck out and said its possible.

If I wasn't in Iowa I would think about sending you some calipers and rotors to test the theory on but they are RUSTY and I would cry thinking rusty parts went on a car from Oregon.

Guest GlCraigGT

if i remember right what you need to do is change the rotors and calipers. It shouldn't need anyspecial tools except what ever you use to bleed the breaks.

Guest RTFMharpua

LOL that is very considerate of you :D

but how rusty can they be? would a bit of steel wool clean it up, or is it beyond that. I am just itching to get my car back on the road (and by road, i mean the goat trails in the woods)

I might have access to the parts i need off of an 83 2 wheel drive gl wagon. Key word being "might". Does anyone know if the 2WD front brakes are the same and the 4WD?

Guest GeneralDisorder

The only difference between the 2WD and 4WD front suspension on the 83 would be the front strut. The 4WD's are taller. How do I know? I have them both in peices in my driveway right now :lol:

GD

Guest McBrat

yep. 80-82 wagons had the solid rotors. 83+ had vented

my 82 wagon has the replacement done on it.

need calipers and rotors, just like stated above.

Guest OH Noah

Helpful tidbit: ALL EA71 and EA81 cars from mid '84-on used the vented rotors, and they're the same between 2wd and 4wd.

When doing the conversion on the earlier cars, do you have to swap the caliper bracket too?? (I'm assuming you do.)

Guest GeneralDisorder

And another helpful tidbit - the front axles on 2WD and 4WD are the same in the 83 and newer EA81's. Well - at least on the manual trannys. Don't know about the auto, or the turbo auto.

GD

Guest OH Noah

Hmm. My '83 FSM still shows different specs for the 2wd and 4wd axles, and my '85-'89 Brat/Hatchback parts manual also still shows different part numbers for 2wd and 4wd axles.

I know that you can put 2wd axles on a 4wd car and vice versa, but the real 4wd ones have fatter shafts (27mm vs. 25mm) and larger joints (87AC vs. 82AC).

Guest GeneralDisorder

They break in half just as good as the 4WD ones. Might make some difference off road. On road I can't see any reason for not using the 2WD ones if you get em for cheap. Didn't look close at the shaft sizes, but I'm sure your right. Just noticed that they are the same length, and same spline count.

GD

Guest GlCraigGT

the shafts are the same size between 2wd and 4wd, the only shaft difference is a small gruve cut into the 2wd axles to help them apart from 4wd axles (not sure if aftermarket suppliers did this). The CVJ and DOJ are bigger on 4wd axles. EA81 turbo axles have an bigger CVJ and DOJ but i can't remember if they same spline count were they slip onto transmisson is the same or not.

Guest RTFMharpua

WHOOO HOOO! i found the caliper i needed to begin with. Its on, and all i have to do is bleed the brakes. thanks for everyones input, and most of all thanks to John in Eugene. your tricks work wonders.

thanks everyone

harpua