Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another question 85 GL Turbo

I went and looked at this 85 GL turbo. There is one problem with it. The lady says the Auto Tranny is out. I tried to put it in gear and all it did was kind of whinn a little. What does that mean??? It won't move at all. It almost sounds like something is not engaging. What do I need to look for to see if the tranny is truely bad?? Also I had the car running and went to pull the dip stick out to check the oil. Well, the car wanted to die. Should I be worried about this or is this normal??? The engine sounds good, but just would like to have some advice if anyone can offer it.

Thanks for your help

Vo

Sounds like she needs a new tranny and some TLC. THe tranny is shot. Prolly the pump but it could be something else. As for the stumbleing idle when you pull the dipstick thats normal. It shouldnt kill it however or effect the idle TOO bad. When you pull the dipstick on these engines youre making a vacume leak. There is possibly another small vacume leak in the system and pulling the dipstick is making a bigger one.

How much is she asking? How much oil does it eat? How much coolant does it eat? How many miles? Does it blow smoke? (on startup, constantly, or never) How much oil is "seaping" around the engine? Does she have service records you can flip through? If not whats some of the major things over the last 5 years thats been done?

Just some questions to ask if you are seriouse about buying it.

Thx

She is only asking $600 for the car, I am hoping to get it for 400. There is a lot of interior that will need to be replaced. As for the tranny, I have a 5 speed tranny and could probably replace it. There is a little trace of smoke coming out the back, not much. She told me she had just done the tranny 3 years ago. Aslo she has replaced a lot of stuff on it, like starter, altenartor, hoses. I think it might be a good deal

Thanks Victor

Personally, I think $400 is a little much for something that needs that much work.. I have seen better cars go to the wrecking yard.

Bad tranny.. some of the interior need to be replace.. a little smoke.... sounds like a borderline parts car

$200