Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What IS The Ultimate Offroad Subaru?

Jibs

ok i'm going to be on the market for a 4wd sub here soon and would like to get opinions on which years are the best for offroading/daily driver or what to look for when buying a sub? yes i did a search did not find anything on this topic. any info would be great i'm a newb so please bear with me.

thanx, jim

If i was buying a car just for offroading i would buy an MY wagon,

its offroad ability in stock form is very good

I offroad light medium heavy and tour long distance and my MY04 Forester X, it does the job very well

My friend tours and goes extreme offroad in a 92 Lseries wagon 2"lift the rest is stock and its about to turn over 400,000klms or 240000miles

another friend has a modded liberty/legacy wagon and it goes everywhere its pointed

It all come down to $$$$$ i guess

:)

ok i'm going to be on the market for a 4wd sub here soon and would like to get opinions on which years are the best for offroading/daily driver or what to look for when buying a sub? yes i did a search did not find anything on this topic. any info would be great i'm a newb so please bear with me.

thanx, jim

If you want to do both offroading and daily driver I would go for the Ea82 87-89. Make sure it's dual range 4x4 and I would look for a FI unit also. I hate carbs. But if you just want a nice offroader go for a 80-89 ea81 Hatchback. I drive a ea81 wagon as my daily and it beats me up. Its small, noisy and uncomfortable. But it sure kicks butt off road and it's been the most reliable Subaru I have ever owned. Ea82 seems to be a little bit softer car mechanically but its much bigger and comfy.

Just my 2 bits.

A Forester XT with low range 4 wheel drive a 3 inch lift and larger tires (yea right) or a nice 80s GL hatchback 4x4 with dual range and a lift. :)

What do you mean by yea right. I think a Forester XT with low range 4wd and 3 inch lift would be awesome. Also with heavy duty bumpers and a winch.

I would say in my suby experience that the ea81 are the best. I have owned both ea81 and ea82 and have gone back to the ea81. I have a 1982 leone sedan with 3.9 D/R 4 speed welded diff 2" lift and 26" muddies. I am going for a 4" lift next so I can go to bigger tyres and longer travel susspension. It does the business for me as a 4x4 but lacks the comforts that the L-series can provide. I find the ea81 more reliable on the trail much less complex. Its a pig to drive but great fun and who needs creature comforts when you are in the great out doors. Thats my 2 cents worth anyway