Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Creaking on turns mystery SOLVED

Well, now I know why my beloved 96 Legacy creaks and groans when I make left turns or go slowly over bumps. It's not pretty...:boohoo:

The left front hub is loose. I had the bearings replaced in February, but the hub either got damaged then or the non-OEM bearings did something bad to the hub over the last few months.

The whole wheel wobbles side-to-side about 3 or 4 inches! That's where the noise is coming from. :banghead: (worse thing is I didn't notice the wobbly wheel until the dealer showed me!)

Gonna let the Subaru stealership do the work of replacing the whole shibang which is gonna run me $560.

I had a similar prob on my 91 recently, hub was very loose, not 3 or 4 inches maybe 1 inch or so. The Midas Muffler shop quoted me at $480 Cdn to replace the bearing. "3 hours of labour!" but that didn't include a new hub if necessary. I got a second opinion and they just tightened and adjusted the bearing, said it would be fine ......... cost...... $80 cdn (so I took my wife out to dinner with my savings! :rolleyes: )

How do you tighten and adjust a bearing?

I had a good independent mechanic replace the bearing the first time ($217), and I find it hard to believe he could have screwed up so badly.

Yeah, the price the stealership quoted me included a zillion parts and a new hub. And seeing how much I can wobble that front wheel has me so scared that I'm willing to pay it!