Ultimate Subaru Message Board

custom EA82T headers?

Ok I know all about the so called wonderful TWE headers and downpipes BUT 400 bucks on a header? Gimme a BREAK! For those who have not had the $$ to slap down and purchase one of these, but are running a custom header that either you or a shop has made, please share! I don't exactly want to drop 400 bucks on a bunch of tubing that I could probably do which is why I'm asking this question. Also, if you happen to have pics of it while you're making it, etc. please share those as well! Thanks guys!

I know the feeling!!! I have been thinking of trying to get the muffler shop that has been helping me out with my exhaust work to fab me a custom header with a larger "uppipe", if you can call it that. I want to at least get some good enjoyment out of this car before I go to the land of the 450hp daily driver aka. Okinawa.

$399 for the header.

and unless you have a machine to do mandrel bends, a TIG welder, and are an engine-math wizard you are not going to be able to build a header that matches the TWE....and no one is willing to build a header for the EA82T and it perform as well as the TWE. Unless there is a demand, say, 500 or more, no one is going to touch this engine with a 5 mile pole.

Alot of time was spend designing the header for exhaust pulses, proper tubing sizes, runner lenghts...etc etc. I was slap broke and I still spent the 600 to get the DP AND the header. You've seen my dyno charts, it was the best investment for the car next to the IC and boost controller.

Caboobaroo,

I can understand why you feel the way you do. There was a post a while back with someone here who had a custom header designed for their EA82T and was going to get back to people with more info about it. It was either a custom header or a downpipe. I'll keep searching until I find it then I'll post about it.

I'm thankful that the TechWorks (TWE) header is ONLY $400 for the way it's made. I still can't believe they made these things. Looking at the header for a 2.5RS costing $700+ from them brings tears to my eyes that I got it. Remember, it's not just a header. It's a header and an uppipe combined. A two for one deal! :)

Good luck! I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

that and the stock unit is a once peice deal...but it usually turns into a 2 peice item after I get done with it. :lol:

For some reason I really get annoyed with people call it an uppipe/header combo...there is no up pipe!!! Its a HEADER.

well then I guess I'll be working until I'm 30 or so in order to afford a TWE header.... unless I can afford it here in a few weeks when I work 10 days of 12 hours each.... so my regular 8 hours PLUS an extra 4 hours everyday comes to 40 hours every 2 weeks... mmm money:D Thanks for the info Will, taking it from the people who have bought them, maybe it would be a wise investment for a built motor;)

something tells me, if you dont buy the inital production run, your sol. they cant be making enough money only charging 400 bucks for the header. for our old cars, tha barely anyone realy mods up, were lucky they dont want 6-8.

consider a real turbo can cost around 1k(yes i know about tdo4)....

basicaly you gotta pay if you wanna play. unless you have skills.