Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Playing in the mud with Willi

singletrack

You said you got 3 diffs laying around.... why not weld one up and try it? Instead of theorizing about what COULD happen. Weld one up and see what DOES happen :) So you blow a few axles and decide its not worth it.... OR you find you are making obsticles that previously gave you hell and didnt break a darn thing.

Gimmie a little credit:), I understand the value of a locker.

My concern is generating too much torque to one wheel on slickrock, and blowing stuff up. Out here, for instance, bicycles commonly tear hubs in half on slickrock climbs. I've blown up my high-end Swiss made hubs three times while hammering. That's at 1/3 hp, depending on what I had for lunch.

Frankly, my Banshee is put together a lot better than a Subaru.

You could say that its apple and oranges, but you guys take yer axles out to run on pavement. Well, typically the rocks here are gonna give you more traction than you could ever get on pavement. I think if the car went three-wheel under power in such conditions, the axle/stub would blow fer sure. I know it's an easy fix, but not one I really wanna deal with regularly.

I have no [automotive] experience to base this on, it's just what intuition tells me. Won't know till I try I guess.

Anywho like I says, I'll prolly end up with an LSD and a locker, use the LS mostly and put the locker in when I wanna do something stupid.:drunk:

That wasn't neccessarily pointed at you. I stated it because alot of people who do not know the difference also read these posts.

Rubicon has very similar terrain, granite and such. Very good traction but the off-camber stuff associated with rocks, mountains and deserts are why the welded rear diff is superior. The biggest thing you will notice is that you no longer need momentum to get through obstacles. You will find reasons to gun it but it won't be the normal stuff. That means less damage to the vehicle. More enjoyment for you and your passengers.

As far as breaking goes, I broke 3 or 4 axles and a couple of stubs in 4-5 years of hard wheeling. I have only broken 1 axle since i went to the welded diff. A good, tight LSD will offer benefits just not as many as being welded.

Gimmie a little credit:), I understand the value of a locker.

My concern is generating too much torque to one wheel on slickrock, and blowing stuff up. Out here, for instance, bicycles commonly tear hubs in half on slickrock climbs. I've blown up my high-end Swiss made hubs three times while hammering. That's at 1/3 hp, depending on what I had for lunch.

Frankly, my Banshee is put together a lot better than a Subaru.

Hubs or freewheel?

No offense but maybe you should dump the highend hubs and run bombproof XT's. I used to race XC and DH at the pro level here in BC and I always chose reliability over wieght savings and "performance".

Rubicon has very similar terrain, granite and such. Very good traction but the off-camber stuff associated with rocks, mountains and deserts are why the welded rear diff is superior. The biggest thing you will notice is that you no longer need momentum to get through obstacles. You will find reasons to gun it but it won't be the normal stuff. That means less damage to the vehicle. More enjoyment for you and your passengers.

Well said. Good point on the breaking more stuff cause you're using speed as a crutch.

I'll stay with the LSD for now but my mind was made up after watching the subie vids over and over, if you want to have the traction at slow speed for precision wheel placement then welded's best.

Hubs or freewheel?

No offense but maybe you should dump the highend hubs and run bombproof XT's.

No cup-and-cone bearings on my bike!

DT Swiss USA is based down the street from me, so I gotta run Hugi's. They're plenty strong, although my 240 FR split the hub flange twice, and my lower level Onyx hub blew up the freehub. Broke the pawls. I'm really hard on bikes though.

I've been a shop wrench pretty much all my working life. Believe me, reliabilty is about the only thing I consider. That's why I ride a 45 pound "XC" bike. Anyway, my last 5 or 6 bikes have been from BC manufacturers, you Canucks know how to build um. Planning on going up there again this summer, haven't been in a few years.

BC manufacturers, you Canucks know how to build um. Planning on going up there again this summer, haven't been in a few years.

You ever been to Nelson area? Mucho trails here! Let me know if you're going to come up, I can introduce you to some riders. (I'm not into the serious riding myself)

You ever been to Nelson area? Mucho trails here! Let me know if you're going to come up, I can introduce you to some riders. (I'm not into the serious riding myself)
I haven't ridden Nelson, but I know whats going on up there and its sick.:drunk:

I have some buddies who lived in Pemberton for a while, I stayed with them a few weeks several summers ago. Did lotsa riding around there.

I'm gonna try and git 2 or 3 weeks for a summer road trip. Try an hit Whistler, Kamloops, Nelson, North Van etc. Lotsa places in the States to stop too.

Anywho, haven't been up that way in a while, it'll be cool to git outa the desert in mid summer!

And Subie wagon's! they're everywhere! Singletrack if you do come up in my town the bike shop and hostel are both run by friends, wicked trails and no North Shore attitude.

I don't think they've settled on a location yet, I've sort of followed the thread cause I'm hopin' to bring the turbo beast down. I can't go anywhere round here without being hounded with wuestions, where'd ya get those tires?, that's a subaru?, why?, and so on.