Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Very impressed with my old Loyale!

Where I am in Jersey we got about 24 inches of snow over the night.

I bought a 94' loyale 2 years ago, and then a few months ago gave it to my younger sister when she got her liscense.

Last night I decided to "borrow" the loyale because my Grand Marquis wasnt doing so well in the snow.

This car is amazing! I never got the chance to drive it in snow in excess of 5 inches, but last night I was tearing through un-plowed parking lots with close to 18 inches on the ground like nothing. It didnt get stuck once, I even tried to get it stuck! I only had trouble when the snow became level with the hood, i'd then have to back the car through its tracks. Though the car is an automatic and lacks the horsepower my Bronco had, I have to say this car seemed to handle the snow better than my truck did.

Im sold, Im now looking for a second car for myself, and yes it will be a Subaru! (possibly a GL or another Loyale)

Sorry if i bothered you all, just had to brag!

Where I am in Jersey we got about 24 inches of snow over the night.

I bought a 94' loyale 2 years ago, and then a few months ago gave it to my younger sister when she got her liscense.

Last night I decided to "borrow" the loyale because my Grand Marquis wasnt doing so well in the snow.

This car is amazing! I never got the chance to drive it in snow in excess of 5 inches, but last night I was tearing through un-plowed parking lots with close to 18 inches on the ground like nothing. It didnt get stuck once, I even tried to get it stuck! I only had trouble when the snow became level with the hood, i'd then have to back the car through its tracks. Though the car is an automatic and lacks the horsepower my Bronco had, I have to say this car seemed to handle the snow better than my truck did.

Im sold, Im now looking for a second car for myself, and yes it will be a Subaru! (possibly a GL or another Loyale)

Sorry if i bothered you all, just had to brag!

One of the better cars you could get, and more creature freindly and reliable would be a 96-99 Outback....those are found EVERYWHERE.

Otherwise, the EA82 SPFI 4WD subies are the best!

Get another Loyale or GL for sure, then lift it, do the 6-lug conversion thing and put on some good tires. I have a lifted 91 Loyale with the pushbutton 4WD and Firestone Wilderness tires. I just used it this weekend during our Big Snow (about 6 inches--pretty wussy actually). It was fantastic! A couple of years ago we had a 22" dump in 36 hours; even unlifted with all-season tires it had no problems. And I did drive through 22"-high snow for about a half mile, just had to keep the speed up so as not to lose momentum and bog down.

My next ambitions for this car are replacing the pushbutton 4WD trans with a D/R 5-speed, and an LSD. Then, with about a total of $3000 invested, I have a fine winter car and backup vehicle.

While waiting in my Loyale for a friend at the bus stop, I got a couple of thumbs-up from some guys who obviously knew what Loyales were and thought a lifted one was cool. Nice side benefit.

have you ever had any problems with your loyale sliding about a bit? i got hit with the storm yesterday and my car's back end was sliding about a bit in 4wd. i have a 90...is there a fuse for that under the hood that i should check out? my wheel froze up on me in clear weather last week and i did a complete 360 going around an s curve at about 50 which is how i usually drive it. i've come to believe that my care is possessed by satan or something with all the wierd ****e it's been doing.

I had a similar expierence in my Soob about 7 years ago (when I was in middle school). We had an unexpected 20 in. snow overnight here in NC, and our Soob easily handled 15+ in. on the ground. It was a lot of fun to pass overpriced SUV's stuck in the snow in a car that was worth about $500. Love to see the expressions on their faces!! Go for an 80's SPFI GL w/ a D/R tranny, the low gear is GREAT to have and it allows you to pull/drag stuff (like a Datsun 510 w/ frozen rear wheels). Most of the 80's cars do not have that annoying automatic seatbelt either (I think only the turbos have it). SPFI parts are also cheap and generally easy-to-find (and VERY reliable).

aprilspies - maybe you should have it exorcised or get another Soob. I bet that your bad luck will pass.

A Subaru may not have the room your current car has, but now you know what a Soob can really do in the snow. I love it when this kind of thing happens. Another ex-Soob owner comes to his senses. I'll bet your sister is thanking you for that wonderful snow car about now.