Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Scooby on Speed...

I like the old-school soob, but they should have left the passenger side headlight on and tried to hide the intercooler - that would have made it a REAL sleeper!! I would love to do that to a wagon someday :)

By the way - spraying the intercooler with Nitrous Oxide would NOT help performance - specific heat represents how much energy (heat) a liquid must absorb to evaporate - water has pretty much the highest possible - and I believe NO2's is lower than air, so not only is he driving a bomb, he is also hurting his performance!!!

specific heat represents how much energy (heat) a liquid must absorb to evaporate - water has pretty much the highest possible

yes, but it is a measure of how much energy it absorbs per degree of temperature rise per unit mass (measured in J/kgK). I presume he is talking about nitrogen (not nitrous oxide??), which will come out of tank very cold (due to the drop in pressure) and may therefore be able to absorb more energy than water (which would have to be above 0 celcius).

Still, seems like a dumb idea, cos for the price you would pay for a small bottle of liquid nitrogen, you could get a lot of water!

According to the website it was nitrous - as in the highly-combustable NO2 that is injected into the engines, not N2 which makes up most of the air we breathe, and I do see your point. You are right, liquid nitrogen would work better than water if it was applied to the intercooler in its liquid form, but they were using nitrous oxide - which would make the hindenburg look like a candle if there was a spark under the hood. Nitrogen is inert (not flammable), and would work well. Figuring out how to deliver liquid nitrogen would be the hard part, and your passageways in the intercooler could ice up.

Sorry guys, but nitrous oxide is not flammable as you think. It takes conditions like inside of the engine for it to become useful. This is why they use nitrous oxide and not pure oxygen injection. Pure oxygen would be dangerous to have outside of the engine compartment.

If he is spraying nitrous oxide on his intercooler, its using the fact that the nitrous oxide comes out of the bottle extremely cold, due to the refrigeration effect you get when you let the high pressure liquid in the bottle expand into a gas. He could be using c02, nitrogen, it doesnt really matter.

Some guys have there NOS jet ahead of the intercooler, most put it after the intercooler. Pretty sure the guy writing the article was playin it up but didn't understand what was being said. NOS does cool the the charge [that's why it so good with turbo's, detonation wise] just like an intercooler does plus it adds a bit more oxygen for combustion too. NOS and turbos are very common, so are NOS equipped intercooled turbo's, this guy just didn't reread his article enough and wrote things out wrong. Bet a flat on this one I would.

Heh I think I hav seen this scoob in person down at harry's dinner in Australia. Like heaps of people with sick cars used to go there mainly falcons (ford) and commodoors (GM). Untill some dood in a hotrod lost it while exiting the place hittin some people in the croud, the cops swarm it now and not many ppl have come back since. Hehe it was funny cause my mate couldnot belive people called SUbaru's scoobies n scoobaru's n sutch and then we sawed it, sortof prooved him wrong:rolleyes:. Yeh it even had that geen nos/n2 line on the intercooler. Nearly saw it there every week I went before the "incident". Heh dont get me wrong i think the air brushing looks sheet but what ever floats your boat i supose.