Ultimate Subaru Message Board

nissan/toyota Tcase install....Q.......

gunslinger

to use a yota case you need a kit to make it a divorced unit. Normally toyota cases bolt onto the tranny. You cant bolt them onto a sube obviously.

Early nissan cases are divorced and even use the same driveshaft flange pattern as a subaru, so its a convenient swap. the nissan case is easily strong enough for anything a subaru can dish out (well so far...)

No real Pics Yet.....But here is a Quick and Dirty explanation....

With a Nissan T-case......You need to have a Min of 6-10 Inches of Lift.....at 6 you will be cutting the floor up to keep the T-case up tight in the tunnel......I have done 2 10" lifts, and They seem to be the Perfect Lift spec.....

Assuming you Lift your ride 10" using Blocks, you will want to tie the front Blocks into the rear Blocks.....All the Factory Drive train has to have new Mounts built, to keep it high and Tight in Factory locations.....Doing this then Allows you to mount a T-case in line Directly behind the Transmission.....You will have to figure specific location based on Wheel base of car, and Driveline angles Needed.....Rear Diff stays Put, and You will use another in the front mounted/Fabbed into the Factory Belly Pan.....

There is alot of Fab work Involved, So have torch and Welder At the ready......Hope this Kinda drew the picture for you......

Have fun, John

are there any good links that i can dive into that would really explain it in detail or give good pics/diagrams?

I took a bunch of pics when we did Ken's lift on his Brat. But, with good ol' dial up, I'm not gonna attempt to upload them, they're big.

I'm in North Seattle, I'd gladly burn you a cd so you can go over them as much as you like.

Although there's no good pic of the t-case after it's mounted, there's plenty of other photos that will give you a good idea of what we did with the general lift.

Solid rear axle conversion too.

Other good stuff too, like the resized photo below of the steering shaft we had to make. Big pain in the rump roast, took 1/3 of the time we spent total to fab, but works like a charm.

Eric Zap

I took a bunch of pics when we did Ken's lift on his Brat. But, with good ol' dial up, I'm not gonna attempt to upload them, they're big.

I'm in North Seattle, I'd gladly burn you a cd so you can go over them as much as you like.

Although there's no good pic of the t-case after it's mounted, there's plenty of other photos that will give you a good idea of what we did with the general lift.

Solid rear axle conversion too.

Other good stuff too, like the resized photo below of the steering shaft we had to make. Big pain in the rump roast, took 1/3 of the time we spent total to fab, but works like a charm.

Eric Zap

if you want to burn me a disc i would really appreciate it. if you had the rig at your place i wouldnt mind dropping in and checking it out at the same time i pick up the disc. im 2 min from mnt lake terrace so im not far from you. let me know if thats cool w/ u to drop in. email me your addi if so. thanks eric.

10" min huh?? sounds fun but a lot more work then I thought it would be. not complaining, i love fabrication. you should se the "3 wheeler death bike chopper" sitting in my garage :grin: . i figured i would have to straight axle the rig to get it where i want it. ive got a pair of 'yota sticks lying around i can use so that shouldnt be a problem. have you used coils or did you use leaf when you straight axled it? ive mostly used leafs but i really like the look/function and the different link opportunities that coil provides. thanks for the quick and dirty

I went with a 6" lift and wish I'd gone a bit further. I used a different tcase that sits up there pretty high, but the front diff hangs lower than I'd like. I even ground down the tranny drain plug to get my diff packed as high as possible. Now with 31" tires I have about 13" of front diff clearance compared to 15" under the rear diff and maybe 16" under the t-case.

ya im currently installing a tcase as well and um. ya dont shuve it too high up unless you want to pay some money for a custom front driveline.....good thing im a high school kid and have nothing else to spend my money on :grin:
Im in the same boat :) graduated last year but still at home, hardly any expenses except for my projects and a movie or dinner here or there. Life is good. I'll be going to college this coming fall though, might move out then.