Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Consequences for False Plates

Krag

This occurred to me as a sort of outlaw question: are Subarus less likely to be stopped by cops being a sort of econobox, unflashy kind of wagon in general? If you need to pick up a used Subaru and the Motor Vehicle Department is a major inconvenience at least until you can get the paperwork together, what are the consequences of getting stopped, anyone with experience in explaining themselves out of such a prickly situation? i.e. "I just picked the vehicle up and am on my way home".

Subarus aren't really noticed that much. As long as you go the speed limit and don't make any daring illegal moves, you'll be fine. But, just in case, ask for some sort of confirmation from the dealer saying that the titles on the car are pending. Keep it in the glovebox until you get the real paperwork. That way, you won't get picked up for grand theft auto when you're just trying to take your new car home.

Thats what Trip Permits are for. For the cost of one(or 2) of these, you will have piece of mind and the are usually good for 3 days. Not that nagging doubt about how much the fine will cost you for using plates from another car. Any car bought from a used car dealer should issue a title upon sale of the car, you should not have to wait for it.

Knowingly putting false plates on a vehicle in FL gets you a free ride in the back of a cop car and room & board for awhile. I unknowingly got my registration mixed up with my brothers awhile back; I had a 97 Prelude & he had a 97 Civic but the registrations didn't say that only 2 dr 1997 Honda . The cop that pulled me over was cool though and said he could haul me to jail for it but he understood that it was probably just a mix up.

Depends on where you are, in NC you can get a 30-day plate from a "auto dealer" that lasts you (you guessed it) 30-days. I don't think they are good in any other states too. I know in FL you can get a temp. plate for a dealer for different lengths of time, but I don't know the limit. - For the hastle vs. getting pulled over and in BIG trouble, just get the temp. plate.

I bought a car about 11-12 years ago.. Driving to work one day I was pulled over for a 'routine safety inspection':rolleyes: .. Turns out the plates were from a stolen car. I pulled over on private property that happened to have a nice owner, so the car wasn't impounded.. But I did go to jail until the ******* cop could figure out that the bill of sale and signed title that matched the VIN on the car were legit.

In TX you can buy a 30 day temp tag for $25 (much better than the 3 days you get for the same price in WA)

yo i wouldn chance it if i were you, it takes only one time to get caught, take it from me. my luck hasnt been so good with driving, so i stay off the road till im legal.

look up the law and maybe something like a receipt will get you by. tell your insurance the vin so you can cover yourself in the car. insurance will be more important than 'pending registration' in the long run.

as far as the police stopping you they need a probable cause. but if they read a plate and the name comes back suspened, warrant, or the description does not match the description then there is your probable cause. so make sure you have all the right papers so the cop can see that you are really doing what you say you are doing

i've driven with expired tags a zillion times. just drove 1,500 miles from MD to GA and back a week or so ago to buy another XT6. 2004 tags on the truck. in my experience being honest has always worked. start lying and trying to pull one over and you insult their power trip mentality. i've been pulled over 4 times with expired tags, never been arrested. they could, but they aren't going to arrest some dork like me who's lazy, honest and doesn't have a record. one out of the 4 times i was pulled over they did tow the car. when i go to court (i would never pay a lawyer) i just tell the truth. i was in college, didn't have the money and was putting it off, but now i got tags. and the judge drops the charges and sends you on your way. it is annoying, i don't recommend it but it's not that big of a deal either. of course if you're in the city i bet it's much worse and more annoying. i'm in a small town, these guys aren't out to pound you, they do have that whole power/attitude thing going on that the profession attracts, but otherwise in my small town i've found them tolerable in their actions...maybe not their attitude though. but hey, i had expired tags, expired license, no insurance. that was the college days of no $$, don't do that no more. the truck was an exception. was inpsected, but no time to register before i left for the trip.

don't be nervous, don't lie. they've heard it all before. don't think your excuse is particularly witty, they are used to hearing some things and used to hearing attempts to be different.

when I still lived in Oregon, my Brat when I picked it up didn't have any plates on it but I needed a car to drive. SO! I put the plates from my '78 wagon on it and they never said anything about it unless I said something when I got pulled over. I just told them that I took my Brat body and put it on the wagon chassis..... but they probably wouldn't think its unibody!

In Montana it's no problem to get a trip tag, and it's FREE!

But, I would (and have) go bare and keep the sale paperwork with me before I'd hang a false tag on a car. Then, the worst they can do is give you a ticket, not arrest you. Once you get the tags on it, the ticket will go away with a minor or no fine.

I think Johnny Law would be more lenient if you were honest and ignorant as opposed to purposely trying to deceive them. When you hang false tags on the car, you are doing it on purpose and you have less to stand on when trying to fight the charge. Besides, most of the registration tickets are fix-it tickets anyways. (atleast here in Cali)