Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new batch of EJ swap ?s (electrical etc)

baccaruda

Since my EJ donor car is an automatic, I wouldn't mind using the simpler wiring from a manual transmission EJ car. Is the wiring harness on the engine the same? (do I only need to grab the MT computer and dash/body harness? or MT engine harness too?)

I know some of the wiring runs behind the fenders. Do I need to yank the fenders to chase and replace the wiring for the swap?

Since my car is a GL10, am I looking at keeping the EA82T computer as well as adding the EJ22 computer? I'm asking regarding keeping the trip computer and digidash as I don't want to add the work of swapping an analog dash in.. yet.

thanks!

that is what im trying to do as well, but i didnt have fuel injection to begin with, you should just need the wires that go from ecu--->engine.....that means the whole wire harness from the car. you will end up cutting out aobut 90% of the wires, make sure to double check everything before you cut. i cant figure out how to add links so try this site from a guy in australia...http://community.webshots.com/album/134929361huepcw/1

i got lots of help from this site.

thanks anyway but that I've seen that site before; subarino from Oz did that project.

My car is fuel injected and has a digital dash system instead of an analog system so there is more wiring involved than with your car or with subarino's for that matter (no offense).

I have the 1985 FSM (only diff is SPFI added in '86) and is is quite possible to preserve all of your ammenities and still have the EJ22. You do NOT need to keep the EA82T computer to keep your Digi-Dash and everything else, just keep your sensors for fuel level, oil pressure, and other stuff that connects to the digi-dash. Use the Tach output from the EJ22 ECU to run your tach. If you want I will see if I can photocopy some of the wiring diagrams for you, but I am limited in my means and there are many diagrams to copy.

Another thing is that my FSM is for a 1985, if anyone has a 1986 FSM it would be a lot more accurate.

Does anybody know how thick the adaptor plate needs to be?

I'd love to do the conversion myself, but for $ reasons I would have to mod the flywheel and make the adaptor plate myself. - I can get a junk EJ22 or EJ18 engine in a heatbeat for a very decent price. (The wiring harness would be more difficult)

BTW - Does anyone know when the EJ22 got the 2nd VSS in the tranny and the presurized fuel tank??

1/2 inch is exactly 13 mm. i doubt that could hurt anything.

thanks for the electrical info.. now i'm thinking it would be nice to have newer sensors on the engine, though, so maybe i'll grit my teeth and put in an analog dash.. i'd have to change less on the motor, swap in the fuel tank sensors, and i have to take the dash cover off to fix the heater switch...