Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need some advice on if parts will work

well i asked this forum about a week or so ago if this soob purchase was worth it and decided to buy the pair. well first off i misheard the woman telling me that a transfer case was bad( found out from u guys there wasnt 1 lol) not what she did say was wrong was the front differential. well my question is will the front differential from my parts 87 4x4 wagon auto fit on my good 85 4x4 wagon with a 5 spd. i gotta swap the motor from the 87 into the 85 as well. which both are 1.8l. for those of you that hadnt seen my original post i am getting both these for $600. and the parts vehicle has pretty much every part on it in good usable condition except for all the pass side body work. and the bad motor in the 85 is in rebuildable condition so i guess i got a high pro guine pig (however u spell it lol) i will having these towed to my house this weekend and start digging in on getting the 85 going. btw its rust free:) and the body is in great shape only body damage at all is on the back bumper which should be an easy fix or maybe the back 1 on the 85 is in good shape. i forgot to look. i have had soobs b4 but i havent worked on one in a few years and my last 1 was a 2wd 82 wagon so on the 4x4 stuff i gotta learn all over again. im sure there will be many more questions as i get my project underway, ill get some pics of them after i get them over here this weekend

just want to make sure that it isnt possible to use an automatic dif on a 5spd(not that i dont believe u shawn) or maybe someone could tell me what this prob might be, its locked up the front wheels to the point that you cannot just push the car, any advice would be very helpful, since i cant seem to find a rebuild kit 4 it

I believe the problem is the diff gear ratios. I think your looking at a 3.7 on the auto and a 3.9 on the manuel.

You could swap the gears out of another diff to match the tranny you decide to go with?

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

The ratio of the auto diff is 3.7, whereas your manual diff is 3.9. It might be possible to take apart both trannies and swap the diffs, as well as changing the rear end over to the one from the auto car. This would be a lot of work and I would recommend looking in J-Y's for a complete 5 speed tranny.

well this is a real pita! i spoke with them again today and aparrently things got mixed up again, since 1 car has 1 bad part and another one has another part, apparently i dont have much to worry about. the dif is good on the 5spd good shape car the the dif is bad on my parts 1 and since its only my an auto tranny in my parts 1 it really doesnt hurt my feelings all that much lol. i swear im never gonna buy another pair of cars at the same time it is too friggen confusing :confused:

well ty for the responses, ill be posting alot more after i get ready to do a lift to it