Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will any Impreza Suspension/Brake parts fit my 88 GL 4WD Hatch?

Oh look, there we go, right into the personal attacks! We all know you have your ego to protect right?! Your explanation doesnt make any sense, and I'm sure people will draw their own conclusions.
Gee some people can't take compliments very well. Maybe you should re-read all the posts again, this time don't take them in order because someone maybe responding at the same time someone else does and their post will appear before the other's does, making the string out of context. If you feel my comments are personal attacks, you'd better not go to other message boards, they will eat you alive.

Alright doc, write me up a perscription. I have a headache. :confused:

To clarify things so I am sure I get the right information:

I have a 1988 GL 4WD 3-door hatch. It has a 4-speed, and I can select either Hi-Lo-None on the 4wd. It has a Carbed 1.8L motor, and I think it has 4-wheel drum brakes (not 100% sure on that last point). It looks exactly like the top white car in Bushbasher's picture.

Just to clarify what I think I'm hearing:

1) I can't really use many Impreza brake/suspension parts at all on my GL.

2) So, a good off-the-shelf upgrade then would be to get entire the brake assemblies (backing plate and all) off of an XT (or a turbo car?) and just use those. That should give me 4-wheel discs, and better stopping power.

3) If I take apart my struts and re-use the tops off of them, I can put struts in my car that were intended for a later model EJ car. I could achieve the same effect by drilling out the strut tower to fit the EJ struts.

Is that what I am hearing?

Assuming I'm right on all of that, and assuming that by an EJ car we are referring to a car that originally came with an EJ-series motor (like the Impreza) it begs the question then is it really worth it to go with EJ car struts? That sounds like a fairly simple upgrade, but is it really to be considered an upgrade? I know that there are all kinds of aftermarket things I could do if I went to Impreza struts, but would those be worth it if I couldn't do a similar upgrade to the rear suspension?

Thanks all for the commentary.

- Freed

Dragonlee, I'd like to see that 90 Impreza, it is rare, considering that Subaru didn't make an Impreza until 1993.

Well, they did start racing them in 1992, (bet you 20 bucks) so they did indeed make them before 93. Sell them in the US before 93 no. Make them before 93 yes.

Freedster, just a few things to clarify. You have the Hatchback. The 3dr with hatch is a EA82 model. Same engine size, different configuration.

Also, you should have front disc brakes already. All you need is the rear discs from a 4wd EA82 (85-89) Turbo (and sometimes GL-10).

The Impreza suspension/brake upgrade is much easier on the EA82 models.

hey man i just posted a bunch of stuff but i got discnnected!!!!:banghead: :banghead:

anyway i said you will have to graft on an ea82 lower control arm mount so you can use ea82 suspension structure, so that you can fit the xt6/impreza stuff on

keep in mind you wont have a parking brake with impreza

anyway there is more involved in tire rods and strut caps but it will work.

hollar back if you need more detail:banana:

Gee some people can't take compliments very well. Maybe you should re-read all the posts again, this time don't take them in order because someone maybe responding at the same time someone else does and their post will appear before the other's does, making the string out of context. If you feel my comments are personal attacks, you'd better not go to other message boards, they will eat you alive.

one of your posts was within 2min of dragonlee's, the rest are within spans of hours. I have re-read the posts, I don't see it. Please explain it in more detail. Your response may not have been such a deep personal attack, but your general holier than thou, self-important attitude is insulting, thats for sure.

Well, they did start racing them in 1992, (bet you 20 bucks) so they did indeed make them before 93. Sell them in the US before 93 no. Make them before 93 yes.
Gee Zap, since they start the 93 model year sometime during August and September, I guess that they would have built them in 92, but they were a 93 model year regardless. As for racing them in 92, I'll have to check into that. Subaru team was still racing the Legacys in 93.

one of your posts was within 2min of dragonlee's, the rest are within spans of hours. I have re-read the posts, I don't see it. Please explain it in more detail. Your response may not have been such a deep personal attack, but your general holier than thou, self-important attitude is insulting, thats for sure.
OK, oh grand sage of the Great White North, my reference to "same goes for Legacy", was refering back to my post about the parts needed for the conversion. Does that make sense to you now, if not, quit bugging me.

Eventhough Rob has aready answered, here is a rule to go by without look at the engine; car from 1980 to 1984 were generally EA81s (some EA71s in there), from 1985 to 1989 they were EA82s, this rule doesn't include the BRAT and the Hatchback (not to be confused with the 3 door). There were EA82s from 1990 to 1994, but there were also Legacys and Imprezas in that time frame. It only applies to 4 cylinder cars.

Ok so we got in a big symantic war. Now that is with can you tell me, will the 1990 legacy rear axle fit on my 88 wagon, non turbo 4wd 5 spd?

Ok so we got in a big symantic war. Now that is with can you tell me, will the 1990 legacy rear axle fit on my 88 wagon, non turbo 4wd 5 spd?
No, the Legacy has a 25 spline axle, your 88 wagon has a 23 spline axle. If you wanted to do the 5 bolt coversion you'd either have to do as Fox mentioned or get a turbo tranny.

You got your $20 handy?? Subaru officially annouced the new model Impreza on October 22, 1992. The first WRC race the an Impreza ran in for Subaru was the 1000 Lakes Rally, August27-29, 1993. Now, if you have something different, I'd like to see it.

• 6 months later...
Freedster, just a few things to clarify. You have the Hatchback. The 3dr with hatch is a EA82 model. Same engine size, different configuration.

Also, you should have front disc brakes already. All you need is the rear discs from a 4wd EA82 (85-89) Turbo (and sometimes GL-10).

The Impreza suspension/brake upgrade is much easier on the EA82 models.

OK. I have a "hatchback" not a "3-door".

Looks like I am finally doing the brakes now. Wish I could have done this sooner.

As far as what is worn out goes, I know I need to do the fronts, and might as well do the rears while I'm at it. Just so I know what parts to go get, someone please check my facts:

1 - I can upgrade the fronts by calipers originally designed for an xt6. They are larger and better calipers. Should bolt right up.

2 - I can upgrade the rear to disks by doing the same, but I will need all parts from the backing plates out. Any Subaru RX, XT Turbo, GL-10 Turbo (both wagon and sedan) will have rear disk brakes. XT6 will not do. Install by replacing the backing plates on my hatch with the disk brake backing plates, and put on the whole assembly from there. Should bolt right up.

3 - I won't need to change out my master cylinder, hard or flex lines, or any other part of the braking system. I also won't need to change out my wheels.

I'm interested in upgrading the front rotors if anyone knows of a larger bolt-up part. Many thanks to anyone that can help me get through this.

- Freed