Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subynewbie need some insight on the xt

Since I am in NC as well...you shall, and MUST...give it to me! :-p

First thing you should do...sicne its a turbo...is really run some synthitic motor oil. Mobil 1 10w30 synth is best, and use OE oil filters.

If the car has been ill mantained...the Hydrualic Valve Lash adjusters will tick...easy fix for that is changeing the oil reguarly with QUALITY oil...aka the Mobil 1...or atleast Castrol GTX 10w30 if you dont use synthetic.

Head gaskets going is the major issue...why? because people drive them and do not maintain the cooling system...engine gets hot...POOF...head gasket gone. Once an EA82T is overheated badly...it usually will keep blowing the HG's unless the block AND heads are machined true. Most of the time, with a mild overheat...light over heat...just the heads can be done, and as long as the OE head gasket is used...everything will be peachy as long as everything is well maintained...for another 200k miles at least.

Another thing to look for is the timing belts...they may need to be replaced soon...replace them every 50~60k miles. Since you are in there...replacing the waterpump, cam/crank/oil pump seals are a must for a leak free EA82 engine. Another common leak point is the rear PCV cover, rear crank seal...and the cam cover gaskets. THere is also an oring between the head and block...and another between the head and cam case that like to leak....those are minor concerns if they only ocassionally drip...if they like to drip drip drip at idle...there will be cause to want to yank the engine and go ahead and surface the heads and use a complete engine gasket kit...along with replaceing the WP...

Taking care of the cooling system is the single biggest thing you can do to make the care live a long time...next to keeping good fresh oil in the engine ofcourse...

Otherwise, the XT and the EA82T engine is one of the best combinations SUBARU ever came up with! The XT is VERY areodynamic...and the EA82T with some very light-mild modifications can put out WRX hp and MORE than WRX TQ...and get up 30 MPGs under that same setup in an RX (mine)...with the more aero XT, less drivetrain loss with the 2WD...i woudl not doubt the ability to get more than 35 MPGs from that thing.....I've always wanted to try, but I've never had an XT...YET.

Good luck and maybe we can meet up at some point! I am in Asheville during the weekdays...around either Charlotte or Atlanta are in weekends...once autox season gets in full swing, I will be up in the Triad area for some autox events.

and Welcome to USMB!

welcome aboard,

i have an 85 xt turbo, and yes they do get in the upper 30's mpg, i get around 30 ish cause i do drive a little faster. my dad says he was getting 40 but who knows. if the turbo isn't spooling up all the time its does really well on gas mileage.