Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The absolute best way ever to clean your fuel system?

Well now, short of taking everything apart and scrubbing it seperately, what do you guys use to degunk your fuel system? Are there any preferred cleaners? Do you do a couple in quick succession? HAS someone actually stripped their fuel system and scrubbed it by hand? Do you use seperate cleaners for injectors and general fuel system? Is it particularly important to use stock filters, pumps, etc.? Any ways of optimizing the system?

Thank you for your replies.

I've worked the past three summers at a fuel/petro company, and the ONLY product for pouring in the tank that we guarantee will do something is Chevron Fuel System Cleaner (Techron Concentrate). I now run the stuff at every oil change. My mom's old wagon was all gummed up after years of around-town driving, so I poured in a bottle of the stuff and the mpg jumped at least 5 just from doing that.

The best stuff I have ever used is Redline synthetic fuel system cleaner. I used it on an old Chev truck I had. The secondaries were gummed up and not functioning. It cleaned everything right up and never had to do a rebuild on it. I have used it religiously ever since, about 10 years! And recommend it to all who ask.

The best stuff I have ever used is Redline synthetic fuel system cleaner. I used it on an old Chev truck I had. The secondaries were gummed up and not functioning. It cleaned everything right up and never had to do a rebuild on it. I have used it religiously ever since, about 10 years! And recommend it to all who ask.

sounds like good stuff

you would be well advised to do a Google

search on the dangers of using meth.

too much is not a good thing and

you can easily do more harm than good

please suit yourself but

concentrations as high as you say are not recco'd

some fuel system components and meth do mix

literally

what makes you think you need such an exhaustive fuel system treatment? fuel delivery should be fine on your car. send the injectors off to RC engineering to be professionally cleaned, rebuilt and flow tested if you have legitimate reasons for concern.

i've used lots of different fuel additives, with no result. i've also never experienced any fuel related issues with 3 motors at 200,000+ miles, so it really didn't matter.

I actually use MMO in the crankcase and only put in gas for decarbonizing the heads, and cylinders. Too much will clog a carb (found out the hard way).

I use Techron in the gas tank, and with a good abount of sucess for cleaning injectors and intake valves.

It depends on what you want to clean as to what you should use. Running MMO and then Techron would probably give you the best cleaning combination (do not mix in same gas tank at same time).

Just an update on my incredibly frustrating:banghead: no start in cold weather. I was faced with a carb rebuild on a Carter-Weber --who would even want to do that-- so I tried Chevron Techron Concentrate -- and so far I've had immediate starts, that surging at cruising speed is gone, and the dieseling stopped. I'm ready for some single digit nights now. Thanks for the great information.

PS I do have another engine lined up, EA81 with 116K on it. It has a Hitachi carb. I'm still thinking of picking it up to play with (I can get it for $50 -80, depending on the deal) What do you think?

I've worked the past three summers at a fuel/petro company, and the ONLY product for pouring in the tank that we guarantee will do something is Chevron Fuel System Cleaner (Techron Concentrate). I now run the stuff at every oil change. My mom's old wagon was all gummed up after years of around-town driving, so I poured in a bottle of the stuff and the mpg jumped at least 5 just from doing that.