Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bad vibration in rear end

hey guys, I got a really wicked vibration coming from the back of the car. I'm thinking its the carrier bearing on the driveshaft. thinking its developed a wobble. My rear diff fluid looks good, I just changed it 5,000 miles ago and added some posi track additive cuz it helps with chatter.

Anyone got any ideas or comments on whats goin on with my car?

My throwout bearing is starting to go out, but I dont think that has anything to do with the vibration. could I be wrong?

the driveshaft is super easy to check. your best bet is to go check the ujoints in your driveshaft before trying to guess what else it may be. i've had horrible vibration 4 times on my soobs and every time it was the ujoints of the driveshaft.

my money is one your ujoints

I have paid to replace a driveshaft when the repair guy said the u-joints could not be serviced.

Is this correct? Can the u-joints be replaced or does the whole driveshaft need to be replaced?

If the joints can be replaced that may be a solution to a wobble that I have experienced.

Thanks

yes and no.

subaru and nissan driveshafts came from the factory with unserviceable and unreplaceable ujoints. Rockford (check out their website for part numbers) makes ujoints that can be fitted in place of the existing ujoints in your driveshaft. Order the ujoints and give them along with the driveshaft to a machine shop (unless you want to try it yourself) and they'll charge 50-100 dollars. Then you'll have greasable and replacable ujoints, i have them now on my XT6.

these guys supply rockford ujoints and have some good information on their website:

http://www.staugustinefwd.com/

if you find any cheaper sources, do post where.

yes and no.

subaru and nissan driveshafts came from the factory with unserviceable and unreplaceable ujoints. Rockford (check out their website for part numbers) makes ujoints that can be fitted in place of the existing ujoints in your driveshaft. Order the ujoints and give them along with the driveshaft to a machine shop (unless you want to try it yourself) and they'll charge 50-100 dollars. Then you'll have greasable and replacable ujoints, i have them now on my XT6.

these guys supply rockford ujoints and have some good information on their website:

www.Rockforddriveline.com PN. 430-10

They are not that hard to change, if you have a die grinder or a little more work with a file to clean out the old u-joint caps. I believe they come with directions in the box. If you have a Drive Shaft Shop near you, call them up. They might have them setting on the shelf, like the shop near me did.

after you grind the metal out of the way is there anything else to it? does a groove not need to be cut inside for the new clip to sit behind? what holds the new end caps in place? i have an extra XT6 driveshaft i'd like to try this on myself.
No. The C clips hold the caps in from the bottom near the X.

ah, the cap just has a groove to hold the c-clip which rests behind the yoke!

nice, this is easy! sawz-all to cut the old yoke out, grind the inside of the yoke smooth and install.

BE CAREFUL installing the caps of the unjoints the bearings inside the caps need to remain as they are, don't allow them to fall out or move around.

thanks Craven!

yes and no.

Found this.

http://www.moonlightmechanic.com/store/wizard.asp?year=1986&make=SU&model=BRT-4WD-002&category=K&part=U-Joint