Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do you remove Front Grill on '92 Legacy

I recently purchased a '92 Legacy Wagon. Among some other minor problems, the hood latch does not latch the Hood completely closed. I think if I could raise the Latch slightly, it would work properly. The Hood latch has three blots that secure it to the frame & I can get to two of them ok, but there is a third one at the bottom of the latch that I cannot reach. It appears that if I could remove the Front Grill, I would have easy access to the latch bolt. The Grill has four clips on the top that I can get un-clipped, but the bottom of the grill won't release from its mounts. I do not have much body work experience but usually can figure out most things without too much trouble.:-\ I am afraid if I pry on the Grill too much it will break. I am also considering removing the Front Bumper Cover that may allow for limited access. Any of you Gurus out there have a helpful hint??

Thanks!

There is one clip hiding in the middle of the grille, you need a narrow screwdriver to undo it. Work out how to release it by examining the other clips - they are the same.

BUT! Before undoing the grille, there is a threaded rubber stopper for the bonnet at each front corner of the engine room. These can also adjust the height at which the bonnet rests when closed. Just turn the rubber stopper clockwise to lower it, and CCW to raise it.