Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1980 DL 4wd

Hello all .. new to the list.

My neighbor is selling a 1980 DL 4wd. This car is in great shape body wise. The only issue is with the motor - motor is clean , car only has 52k original miles, but it is getting some blowby. If I buy the car, I'll only have 250.00 into it . Are the motors hard to rering or rebuild if it is needed. As far as I know it sat in a garage for a long time. The guy who is selling it bought it to commute with but doesn't have time to spend on a new project. Everthing on the car is original except the new paint and the stereo consol. 4wd works great ... no rust anywhere on the car. Sound like a good deal even with the motor issues?

EXCELLENT deal. I know the EA71 and EA81 (you have one of the two) have relatively easy motors to rebuild, that said you can easily find a good one to drop in it too. Get it, I bet the "blowby" is really just a bad PCV valve - a $5 item. Soobs will shoot oil everywhere if the PCV valve is clogged. GREAT 4WD in all Soobs, so if you are worried about inclimate weather, it can easily be your 4WD solution. Too bad it doesn't have the "center eye" (only offered on 1980 GL 4WD Soobs)

Honestly, if I didn't already have a Soob, I would pick it up in a snap. The 1980 cars are cool, and this one is in GREAT shape.

If it is not the PCV valve, a sticky ring is a strong possibility, and soaking it with solvent should solve the problem.

yake the plugs out and dump it in the cylinders. let sit and occasionally turn the motor over by hand to work it in. pb blaster is a good lube, i have used it to free a seized block due to sittong for a while. it will halp take dawn any rust.

as far as sludge or carbon try kerosene or oven cleaner.

these things i would use having them laying around, but you may want more opinion on what solvents to use

Shure, just pull the spark plugs and disconnect the coil.

Have you already replaced the PCV valve?

If you haven't then we are all getting way ahead of ourselves because that solves the problem 99% of the time, especially consitering the mileage on the engine. Just be sure to use an OEM valve.

Congrads,

You will want to get the FSM or the Haynes manual for Subaru 1600 & 1800 1980-1989. The later edition of the book does not cover your car as well, and you will have to pick it up used, but it is fairly detailed.

Picked up a Chiltons for 4.00 brand new at the local ollies ... its not too bad. I do like Haynes better -- so I'll be on the lookout.

The reason I said that particular Haynes manual is they basically Xeroxed the FSM's wiring diagrams for your car and put them in the manual. Whether or not you have any electrical faults now, a good wiring diagram is worth its weight in gold if you develop any or wish to add accessories.

Well, looked at the car a little late last night - looks like the little part the pcv valve goes in is broken - has a cracked tube. It may have a vacuum leak or two as well. I have a guy helping me out with it since he is an expert on low tech motors. I'll keep posting details.