Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4WD problem

i was just out drivng around and kick my '91 Loyale wagon into 4wd it took a second to kick in,then the rear tires locked up on dry pavement. i'm sure my nieghbors thought it was pretty funny,me driving down the road dragging my rear tires. So i hit the button again to get it out of 4 wheel and it didn't work. I stopped then rolled backward a little real slow then forward and...CLUNK!! man i thought i was going to lose the rear end. I'm going to check the gear oil in a minute but i thought one of you guys might have an idea of whats wrong. :confused::confused:

Check the gear oil - tranny and rear diff.

What the heck were you doing with it in 4WD on dry pavement?

Other than that, you may have actuator problems, if that's not it, then you have a bad tranny. ONLY ONLY ONLY use 4WD offroad or in inclimate weather. Otherwise you put extreme amount of stress on ALL drive components. 4WD is great in snow and torrential rain, but besides that, it is best in 2WD.

i dont have any idea what i was doing. that happens with me most of the time. i guess i just wanted to see what it was like to be in 4wd in coastal SC. dont get much call for that around here. thanks for the heads up i'll check it out

I agree with mudduck that your rear end should not have locked up, is it a MT or an AT? MT's have a direct mechanical connection whereas with AT's it's a bit more complex. I think if the actuator malfunctioned and did not go all the way in, it could lock. I think your rear diff is OK because it is impelled during normal driving, so it could not have been the reason your back end locked.

However, do not engage it on a dry surface, because you will either burn your tires or your tranny, traditional 4WD puts 50% power to the front, and 50% to the rear, so it cannot accomidate when you make a turn, and will bind up. AWD (or Full Time 4WD) has a center diff so it is fine in all conditions. (though traditional 4WD is still sometimes best in snow or offroading.)

i'll hop in on this because i have had an issue with mine, too. i have no answer for your problem, sorry. regarding the engaging of 4wd over fifty, the owners manual says that it can be engaged at anyspeed. not that this is the wisest thing to do and is more likely absolutely unnecessary. sorry to break into your thread with a question of my own, but maybe we can both get some answers. by the way, my car is a 90 loyale wagon with the push button 4wd. i have found myself on some dry pavement with the 4wd engaged and when i try to get going from a standstill with the wheel turned one way or another till it is locked the car seems to be pushing the front outside wheel. it also sounds like a tire is not rolling (don't know it it is the front outside or not. my girlfriend is great, but unhepful when it comes to cars). sorry about the runon sentences.

See above posts ^^

i'll hop in on this because i have had an issue with mine, too. i have no answer for your problem, sorry. regarding the engaging of 4wd over fifty, the owners manual says that it can be engaged at anyspeed. not that this is the wisest thing to do and is more likely absolutely unnecessary. sorry to break into your thread with a question of my own, but maybe we can both get some answers. by the way, my car is a 90 loyale wagon with the push button 4wd. i have found myself on some dry pavement with the 4wd engaged and when i try to get going from a standstill with the wheel turned one way or another till it is locked the car seems to be pushing the front outside wheel. it also sounds like a tire is not rolling (don't know it it is the front outside or not. my girlfriend is great, but unhepful when it comes to cars). sorry about the runon sentences.