Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Powerful 80's Subarus?

Has there been any more powerful RX, Loyale and XT models or their variants in the 80's? I mean factory models, not after tuned ones. I read somewhere that there has been some 170hp variant from RX but I haven't found more info about it. Does anyone know?

No, if there was a 170 hp varient then it was in Japan only and I have not heard about it. The EA82 (1.8 liter engine in almost all 80's soobs) cannot reliably put out more than about 130 hp anyway, so it was definately a tuned engine. The 80's Subarus are so light that they are quite fast with 115 or so hp. A Legacy drivetrain will fit with mods, and make the car VERY fast (and a 2.2 is very reliable). That said an XT6 engine (145hp) can possibly be modified with a turbo to put out that much hp, but it would not fit in an RX without extreme amounts of modification. 80's soobs were about reliability and economy, not performance (though stock handeling was GREAT on EA82 cars)

No, if there was a 170 hp varient then it was in Japan only and I have not heard about it. The EA82 (1.8 liter engine in almost all 80's soobs) cannot reliably put out more than about 130 hp anyway, so it was definately a tuned engine. The 80's Subarus are so light that they are quite fast with 115 or so hp. A Legacy drivetrain will fit with mods, and make the car VERY fast (and a 2.2 is very reliable). That said an XT6 engine (145hp) can possibly be modified with a turbo to put out that much hp, but it would not fit in an RX without extreme amounts of modification. 80's soobs were about reliability and economy, not performance (though stock handeling was GREAT on EA82 cars)

I never heard of it....but that doesnt mean it does not exist.

Point 1: WRONG!

Why: I am putting down 230/292...and its my daily driver...with 170K+ mile shortblock in it (car has 176k on it). Ive had a few turbo subies that were quite fine and reliable with original high mileage engines in them. My RX is definatly faster than Stock and lighty mod'ed WRX's and I've had little issues keeping up with stock STi's on twisties.

Point 2: WRONG!

Why: They are SLOW in stock form.

Point 3: RIGHT/WRONG!

Why: An EJ swap IS possible and the EJ22E is near bullet proof. But even with 135~145...it might ONLY be as fast as a stock 2.5 RS...and thats not very fast at all.

Point 4: RIGHT/WRONG!

Why: ER27's can be turbo'ed...Im going to eventually. However, there is no need for EXTREAME modification to fit it in a Gen3 subie...it slides in nice and tight...although Rad clearance needs to be addressed.

Point 5: Mosty right!

Why: They do handle GREAT. the 2WD ones are awesome. Very neutral. 4WD ones are way prone to understeer due to the height and the un-nessisary amounts of POSTIVE CAMBER from the front. XT's hanlding is very good as well.

Well, you learn something new every day! - I thought 200hp was the max for an EA82

BTW I have had mine well over 85mph on the interstate, its SPFI at 90hp - I would not call that slow! 0-60 could be better

The only ER27 conversions I know about involve moving the radiator to above/beside/in front of the engine - that is extreme.

for EA81/71...aka the gen 1 and 2 subies, yes, extreme mod for that to fit in there...

someone did an XT6 turbo wagon on here...it never ran, but...it was in there and the rad was not too far from stock.

85-90 is not really that fast....lol...but thats pretty much the max speed for the SPFI/carb in stock form...I had my DL SPFI wagon up to 95 tho.

the STOCK turbo cars will do about 110~115....on a really really really long stretch.

with cams, intake, exhaust and a completey stripped interior on my 89 RX...130 MPH came and gone in no time.

stock weight GL-10 wagon, an 86 with RX body kit...stock cams, TWE exh, IC and so on...130 came up fast...as did traffic so I backed off.

Due to fuel cut, similar setup on my currect RX...its madness on acell to 5th gear...but since 5th is a constant pull, i get fuel cut...so, never really got to a top speed with it, but under stock boost and levels that dont cause fuel cut, it will get to 125 in a hurry...and where a stock one is giving it EVERYTHING its got to just get ot 110~115...my RX will easily cruise at 115~120 all day long, no even boosting either. :eek:

We were talking about STOCK factory engines for 80's Soobs. Changing boost, cams and other stuff makes it no longer stock!!

I think we have different definitons of slow, if I can hit well over 15 mph over the posted speed limit with little effort, then I don't consider the car slow (have you driven a van? - they are slow).

SO - the turbos were the cars that were the fastest and most powerful for the 80's.

Anyway

WJM-

What are your feelings on manual rack and pinion vs. power steering? I have had great handling with my variable-ratio manual steering. The only thing I hate is parallel parking.

Also, I have found that my front end tracks nicely on tight turns, it is my back end that feels uncoordinated. I was thinking about swapping my trailing arms with some that had a sway bar on them.

my bad, thought the XT6 debued in 1990 (still nowhere near 170hp stock).

I don't know why but I seem to overlook them, which is sad (and stupid) because they are such a neat car. I guess it is because the wagons and sedans are so common.

A turbo XT6 engine would be fun wouldn't it :cool: (yes you would have to make it, and EA82T pistons will fit)

or even better, a turbo SVX :D (EJ22T pistons will fit that - better beef up the tranny and its not '80s)

A turbo XT6 engine would be fun wouldn't it :cool: (yes you would have to make it, and EA82Tpistons will fit)

or even better, a turbo SVX :D (EJ22T pistons will fit that - better beef up the tranny and its not '80s)

Somebody is going to find out how fun a turbo'd XT6 is, hopefully here. And they'll share all the fun with us poor folks.

As for the turbo'd SVX, it's been done more than once. Here's one currently........

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21278

20739.jpg

Here is the write up about it------->

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/771596

Has there been any more powerful RX, Loyale and XT models or their variants in the 80's? I mean factory models, not after tuned ones. I read somewhere that there has been some 170hp variant from RX but I haven't found more info about it. Does anyone know?

yes there is 81 wagon dl s because low geered an lots of horses