Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's In There?

I pulled the motor to replace the clutch and thought I would check out the motor for anything else that might need to be replaced. I saw a cover on the back of the motor to the right of the rear main seal (when looking at the motor from the back ) that had approx 6 10mm bolts holding it on it lookad as though it was leaking oil from there what is behind the cover? None of the manuals show what it is. Also are there any other problematic areas that I should address at this time? I am going to replace the timing belt as I do not know when it was last done.

Take that plate off and put RTV on the sealing surface. Almost all the new EJ engines have this plate and many went to a plastic plate which warped and caused major leaks, ruined a lot of clutch discs, etc. The ea82 plates aren't bad like that though they still need to be cleaned of dirt and sealed up again whenever you can.

Yes its a 86 GL-10 Turbo wagon. Should there be oil in there and is there a gasket for the cover and thats why it is leaking ?

the replacement gasket will be cork, use some copper rtv silicone on both sides of the gasket, light film, dont tighten the bolts so much the gasket pinches out the side. do about hand tight and 1/4 turn