Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pcv hose

So I'm sure this has been posted somewhere, but searching for pcv related words is hard as it's too short or too common. After seeing the hoses on phishy's car, I am sure mine are pretty bad too. I cleaned them a while ago, but they are just really brittle. I think I read somewhere that you can put a filter on the passenger side, and then just a run a hose from the drivers side to the pcv valve. Or I will just keep the set up the same, but with new hose. What sort of hose is suggested for this? The vented gases must be hard on certain materials... Thanks.

gates, goodyear and others make fuel/emisions line that will work. I redid all mine a while back. I cant rember for sure but I think it was 5/8" that worked well. I also uses some heater hose T's and eliminated the stock plastic parts.

I would not run breathers unless you like the smell of crank case vapors while your car is sitting at a stop light.

Any ideas how to do an "after market" pcv setup that doesn't suck oil from the valve cvr into the engine, esp during cornering? I've had that aggrivation since Weberizing mine.

I have a small "cone" k&N type filter/breather on the right valve cover and a 5/8" hose running to the pcv valve on the left side but since there is no baffle in the valve cover, at high rpms and right hand turns under power, the hose sucks oil into the intake thru the pcv which, of course, makes for a great fogger. I have made pseudo baffling by placing some open cell foam at the connection of the pcv hose to the valve cover which has stopped the issue of sucking oil at hi rpms and turns, but has also dropped vacuum enough, it now is soaking the filter/breather on the right side at high rpms.

Isn't a major issue unless sustained high rpm driving or sharp curves, but those are a part of my daily driving at times so I'd really like some input on how to get enough vacuum without sucking oil.

Thanks,

HbL

5/8" hose; any parts store should have some for you. Get some GOOD hose clamps. Those wussy spring clamps currently on there are not upto the task after 20 years =P

I routed mine like this:

Left head into left side of T splitter. Right head into right side of T splitter. Hose from back of T splitter to breather filter. Pulled out PCV valve. Put in a bolt in its place to seal intake manifold. Oh forgot about the hole now open in your air intake snorkel there behind the Throttle Body. Again stuck a bolt in the hole and put a good hose clamp on it.

Now all that nasty, oily, mayonaise junk vents out to the breather filter... instead of shooting down my intake manifold and into my combustion chambers! :eek:

if all your hoses are brittle/cracked/clogged you can use regular 5/8" heater hose as a substitute

heater hose will get soft and swell eventually. its not designed or fuel/oil vapors.

as a temporary fix maby but I dont like to do things twice. use the fuel/emissions kind of hose.

never really had a problem wih a healthy motor making a mess inside the intake. every 30,000 or so I clean the throttle body and thats about it.

heater hose will get soft and swell eventually. its not designed or fuel/oil vapors.

as a temporary fix maby but I dont like to do things twice. use the fuel/emissions kind of hose.

never really had a problem wih a healthy motor making a mess inside the intake. every 30,000 or so I clean the throttle body and thats about it.

Every winter when it gets really cold the mayonaise comes back :(

Every winter when it gets really cold the mayonaise comes back :(
True dat! Mine gets nasty in the winter.

I'm currently experimenting with an "oil separator" device and I'll report back after I drive it for a while. I'll also try to take a picture of it later today. Basically, it's a plastic cylinder about 4" long and 2" in diameter, with a hose fitting on either end to connect to the drivers side pcv hose. The top pipe on the valve side of the system extends down into the cylinder about 3/4", while the bottom pipe is flush inside the cylinder, allowing any oil to drain out. With the upper pipe like that, it should be impossible to suck any liquid oil through unless the cylinder fills up with oil, which is highly unlikely. Also, the larger diameter slows down the flow of air, which gives the oil less of a chance to get sucked in. In theory, this device should eliminate pcv-related oil consumption and be completely self-maintaining. Oh yeah, and the stuff to make it cost about $10 at Lowe's.

True dat! Mine gets nasty in the winter.

I'm currently experimenting with an "oil separator" device and I'll report back after I drive it for a while. I'll also try to take a picture of it later today. Basically, it's a plastic cylinder about 4" long and 2" in diameter, with a hose fitting on either end to connect to the drivers side pcv hose. The top pipe on the valve side of the system extends down into the cylinder about 3/4", while the bottom pipe is flush inside the cylinder, allowing any oil to drain out. With the upper pipe like that, it should be impossible to suck any liquid oil through unless the cylinder fills up with oil, which is highly unlikely. Also, the larger diameter slows down the flow of air, which makes gives the oil less of a chance to get sucked in. In theory, this device should eliminate pcv-related oil consumption and be completely self-maintaining. Oh yeah, and the stuff to make it cost about $10 at Lowe's.

Archemmitis was running something similar on his H6 hatchback. Worked good really... too good! He had to dump it a few times a week LOL. Please do report back on how it works for you.