Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Random Brat Questions

Jibs

What years were Brats offered as turbos? I know 1984, is that the only year? How about Automatic trannies? Thanks.
All Turbo's were automatics, Turbo's were only '83.5 (starting March of 83) and 1984. So only 1.5 years of production. I don't think I've ever seen an automatic Brat without a Turbo, but I could be wrong, I've only owned three so far. All were 4 speed dual/range. The only one I have currently was made from two cars, an '84 Turbo hardtop and an '83 GL Brat. Gary

i know of an 84 brat that is AT

Maybe that be the 1 sitting here in my driveway. Dunno for sure....

It be an '84 GL, full instrumentation dash, PB 4WD EA-81 Auto tranny, no T-tops, (darn-it), had Bed-seats but some A-----e cut them out, Grrrrr. Has Topper.

you could get a 85 RX sedan with a D/R....
I know what you're saying, but for some of our newbies the overlap production of AE81's and AE8s's can be very confusing. When Subaru continued producing AE71(Brats)while the AE81 wagons, hatchbacks, 4-doors and 2dr hardtops were current it was confusing just a little. But when they started the EA82's in 1985 and continued the 2dr hardtop till Dec.1984 and the Brat to '87 and the Hatchback to '89 every thing just got more confuzed. I won't even go to the Loyale/Legacy overlap of production. And here we go again with the Baja/Legacy.:rolleyes: Gary

• 2 months later...

Consider this a bump, but here goes.

i went and looked at another Brat for sale today, an 84 GL. It has the t-tops, and is an Automatic transmission. I don't think it is or ever was a turbo, but I can't be sure. the previous owner worked at the subaru dealership and had replaced the engine with a new import engine so I can't be sure if it was ever a turbo. There's no Turbo decal on the side near the Brat targa stripe, but it has the gold/yellow trim all the way around the car. Is there any other way to tell if it was ever a turbo, or is one of those rare N/A Auto Brats? thanks.

Yes, Jibs, I do belive you need another Brat!:):brow: Please start sockpiling them, we need to save all we can! When can we expect the Brat museum to open?:slobber:

Sure.:grin: I'd like to get one of each year, and a turbo, so maybe I WILL open up a museum when I get them all. The funny thing is I don't pay too much for each one, never more than 12 or 1300$. I want to keep them from being destroyed as well, I guewss thats the main reason why I try to buy all of them.

Thanks for all your help guys, I'mm gonna go back and look at it again next monday. I'll check everything you have brought up. Thanks.