Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings... new to the site so hello to all. I just bought a 2001 Legacy GT today and very happy overall with purchase. Vehicle only has 39,000 Km on it. Some old guy leased it from new and obviously didn't drive much... but the tires show a fair amount of wear and the vehicle has a little shimmy at 65 mph or higher.. does the vehicle need alignment or just new tires ?

Question 2. I thought the vehicle had a cd player because there is a cd button on the stereo but when I went to put a cd in I realized it only takes cassette?Why the cd button? If I buy a stock subaru cd changer will it then play cds?

The cheap way out would be to have an alignment and tires balanced. Maybe you can find a $39.95 coupon around somewhere. Check the fluids too. If he didn't drive much, I can't imagine he checked the PS fluid too often. Could be a flat spot on the tires too. Too much time sitting in the driveway?

The CD button on the stereo is for an auxillary changer or similar. I don't think you should need a factory changer for it to work. Might check out ebay for a bargain and then have a local shop install it if you're like me and dislike dealing with automotive wiring!

Good luck.

Thanks dude... I was thinking the exact same approach... get the balancing and alignment done..(wife's brother is a mechanic) and see what happens from there. I have been doing so research and have found that the bridgestones that are on the vehicle suck and don't last long at all. I'm thinking new rubber. Re stereo ... I have a bid in on a cd changer.

I have the car in a shop right now getting it professionally detailed.

The cheap way out would be to have an alignment and tires balanced. Maybe you can find a $39.95 coupon around somewhere. Check the fluids too. If he didn't drive much, I can't imagine he checked the PS fluid too often. Could be a flat spot on the tires too. Too much time sitting in the driveway?

The CD button on the stereo is for an auxillary changer or similar. I don't think you should need a factory changer for it to work. Might check out ebay for a bargain and then have a local shop install it if you're like me and dislike dealing with automotive wiring!

Good luck.