Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'97 Outback rear wheels vibrating

Howdy, I just bought a 1997 outback with 147,000 mi. I love it and it seems very solid. However, when I make left or right turn from a stop I get a rough vibration coming from the back wheels. If I am turning left, the back right wheel seems to be more the culprit and vise versa. I have never driven an AWD car before, so I have no ideas what this is. Any ideas?

PS. I love this site. I never knew about the Subaru community.

Manual tranny or Auto? Do a search on Torque Bind on this forum, and see if your symptoms match. . .

Thanks for the lead Gnuman. Looks like this is a common problem. I guess I will start by checking the tire circumfrance and then change the fluid in the tranny and differential. After that we'll see, maybe clutch pack (hope not). Thanks again.

Thanks for the lead Gnuman. Looks like this is a common problem. I guess I will start by checking the tire circumfrance and then change the fluid in the tranny and differential. After that we'll see, maybe clutch pack (hope not). Thanks again.

No problem at all. That is what we are here for. . .

That and to share how much we love our Subies. . . :brow: